Old 09-03-2009, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

Default improving soil drainage without sand

"Tom" wrote in message

Vermiculite, perlite, even polystyrene beads.

Though adding 10 - 15% of anything like this will of course reduce the
amount of soil by the same amount. You may have to feed/water more often.

Bad form to reply to your own post I know, but I hit "send" before
thinking.

I would think that letting the pots dry out a good bit before moving them
would help more than anything else (and has the added advantage of taking no
effort at all). I have often let a plant in a pot dry out to the point of
wilting without any lasting damage as long as you water straight away
afterwards. Though if the plant is in flower you may not like the idea of
that.

Tom