Old 10-03-2009, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
bobc[_2_] bobc[_2_] is offline

Default Orchid Sales

On Feb 24, 12:44*pm, KTTT wrote:
Diana Kulaga wrote:
KTTT -

I think it goes deeper than that. There have been numerous discussions about
the AOS on this board. Some have been heated. One thing we all agree on is
that we would like the AOS to succeed.

I do agree that there are other issues affecting the AOS as well.

However, as a whole, I notice that today the hobby of keeping orchids
has lost a significant amount of "prestige". *It used to be perceived
that orchid growers are of an accomplished class of ...growers. *Today,
everyone can be called an orchid keeper if he or she keeps one or two
big white or pink phalaenopsis alive at least after blooming.

The AOS does not serve this general population. *The articles are way
too advanced for them. *On the other hand, most RGO readers and the
other real orchid growers are not being served by the AOS either. *The
articles are too boring to read.

I personally think that today there are only two distinct groups of
orchid growers as outlined above. *The amateur class is getting larger
and larger; but they don't read the AOS. *The serious group is getting
smaller and smaller; and they don't read the magazine either. *The
inevitable result is what we have seen today with the magazine.

In addition, I also think that the Internet also contributes to the
demise of the AOS. *In the past, the AOS magazine, words of mouth, and
local orchid greenhouses are the places you can learn more about new
knowledge or varieties of orchids. *Today, you can stay home and find
almost anything you want to know about orchids on the Internet.

So, there is no need to be an AOS member at all. *:-)

The only reason I would re-subscribe to the magazine is for its
collectible value only. *:-)

You are certainly correct that as orchids have become more accessible many
people are buying them to keep only for the length of time they bloom. But
if you are a regular reader of rgo, you know that the majority of
contributors here are serious and passionate about this hobby. Yet many are
not AOS members.

Diana- Hide quoted text -

Interesting obsevation about the AOS magazine Diana. I have noticed
the same thing generally regarding certain Aquarium magazines.
They seem to be for beginners mostly. A wonderful thing if you're
just starting out and need to know about setup and cycling. I used to
subscribe to a couple,
but cancelled after several years, due to lack of interest on my
part. But, I will say the articles they write are accurate and all,
just stuff I've known for years.
Is that what you're talking about?
Bob - Philadelphia, Pa