Old 09-03-2009, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What to replace?

Sacha wrote:
It doesn't seem anyone is able to do a lot of gardening at present, so I
thought I'd ask what people have lost to the harsh weather and what they're
going to replace it with when they can get out there? Same plant or try
something new and different, perhaps?

I have 2 ceonothus 'repens' along a wall which froze. Dead as
doornails. I will probably replace them with some sort of evergreen as
they are on either side of a stone stair, and looked tatty in winter anyway.

I already mentioned Acer longipes ssp catalpifolium which died back in
the frost last year; well the young shoots are black now too, and I
think the whole plant is gone. I've already got the replacement in a pot.

A young Acer rubescens "Summer Snow" that died back almost to the graft
in the cold, I think it is probably cooked.

All in all I was surprised to not lose more in the bitter cold. Some
like Nandina domestica lost leaves and died back, but looks like will
recover.

-E