Old 09-03-2009, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What to replace?

It doesn't seem anyone is able to do a lot of gardening at present, so I
thought I'd ask what people have lost to the harsh weather and what they're
going to replace it with when they can get out there? Same plant or try
something new and different, perhaps?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-03-2009, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
It doesn't seem anyone is able to do a lot of gardening at present, so I
thought I'd ask what people have lost to the harsh weather and what they're
going to replace it with when they can get out there? Same plant or try
something new and different, perhaps?

I don't think we'll know what we have lost Sacha until everything starts
to burst into bud. It's then that the strain of the winter, prolonged
cold and wet weather and maybe even vine weevil damage will show up
best. I bet we're all going to lose things we never thought we would
lose! Hebes look really sad at the minute and several hardier shrubs
have had their top growth browned.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 09-03-2009, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
It doesn't seem anyone is able to do a lot of gardening at present, so I
thought I'd ask what people have lost to the harsh weather and what they're
going to replace it with when they can get out there? Same plant or try
something new and different, perhaps?

I have 2 ceonothus 'repens' along a wall which froze. Dead as
doornails. I will probably replace them with some sort of evergreen as
they are on either side of a stone stair, and looked tatty in winter anyway.

I already mentioned Acer longipes ssp catalpifolium which died back in
the frost last year; well the young shoots are black now too, and I
think the whole plant is gone. I've already got the replacement in a pot.

A young Acer rubescens "Summer Snow" that died back almost to the graft
in the cold, I think it is probably cooked.

All in all I was surprised to not lose more in the bitter cold. Some
like Nandina domestica lost leaves and died back, but looks like will
recover.

-E
Old 09-03-2009, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
It doesn't seem anyone is able to do a lot of gardening at present, so I
thought I'd ask what people have lost to the harsh weather and what
they're
going to replace it with when they can get out there? Same plant or try
something new and different, perhaps?

Not a lot of gardening at present!!
I spent a couple of mornings last week rotovating most of our allotment
getting it ready for planting then at the weekend... Saturday I spent
planting all the shallots and onions, 11 rows, and on Sunday I had the
second manure delivery which had to be loaded and barrowed onto the plot (22
barrow loads each time).
Now it just has to be rotovated in the spud plot.
No gardening at present indeed. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 10-03-2009, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/3/09 16:44, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
It doesn't seem anyone is able to do a lot of gardening at present, so I
thought I'd ask what people have lost to the harsh weather and what they're
going to replace it with when they can get out there? Same plant or try
something new and different, perhaps?

I don't think we'll know what we have lost Sacha until everything starts
to burst into bud. It's then that the strain of the winter, prolonged
cold and wet weather and maybe even vine weevil damage will show up
best. I bet we're all going to lose things we never thought we would
lose! Hebes look really sad at the minute and several hardier shrubs
have had their top growth browned.

Janet

I think what prompted me to ask this is that things are just beginning to
show signs of life - or not. Some we can't be sure of yet, of course. But
I thought we'd lost some lovely arums in a pot but when we inspected them
more closely today, they seem to be pretty firm where it matters, even if a
bit soggy on top. I'm still a bit nervous about the evergreen Ags, however!
I'm also feeling a bit 'spring like' because I potted up hundreds of baby
tomato plants the other day and ditto Pelargoniums and the thought of those
lovely sturdy babies growing into nice big adolescents was very heartening!
And the birds are pretty optimistic, too, despite this last cold spell and a
couple of gales/high winds, one of which woke me up this morning at about
4am. That blew through quite quickly but it was fierce while it lasted.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
It doesn't seem anyone is able to do a lot of gardening at present, so I
thought I'd ask what people have lost to the harsh weather and what
they're
going to replace it with when they can get out there? Same plant or try
something new and different, perhaps?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

I've lost a beautiful golden yellow argyranthemum which I'd had for years.
I'm really going to miss that and will replace it, although not in the same
raised bed. I spent Saturday removing the shrub itself and one or two other
dead bits .. a thalictrum, an aquilegia, herbaceous potentilla and some
dubious-looking bulbs. I improved the soil and put in Clematis Josephine,
'My Mum' red rose (pressie from best friend after my mother died), two new
potentillas, an orangey diascia, three papaver bracteatum, narcissus 'Rip
van Winkle', a few allium atropurpureum, ... and space for a couple of other
bits. I want to pop in some Crocus 'Remembrance' under the 'My Mum' rose,
but I need to buy those again (dratted squirrel .. mutter, mutter). There
was already a Rosa 'Sunrise' and Clematis Multiblue and some golden
marjorum. The good news is that, when I lifted my Cyclamen hederifolium to
move it slightly, the tuber was the size of a large side plate :~). It's
one I sowed myself a few years ago. I was really pleased then to see it had
terrifically patterned leaves, but the size of that tuber made me quite weak
with pride. Disgusting behaviour, I know, but I was so chuffed to see it.
It's thriving. :~))

I've also lost my Isoplexis canariensis and some Calendula canariensis
(which had survived the previous winter), not surprising, perhaps. I may
have lost my Melianthus major, but there's time yet for it to shoot from the
crown. Any number of other things look rather dodgy, but it's still early
days yet.

Spider

Old 11-03-2009, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sheila wrote:

Its really sad reading all of these losses, I have been so fortunate up here
(Formby has its own micro climate, thank you gulf stream) and have lost
nothing. I would be devastated. The Agapanthus in the ground have done
really well, they are growing nicely, I put the two in pots inside the shed
after the pots cracked... (re potted them, they are outside now, doing well)

Well, yes and no. We have had over a decade mof incredibly mild winters,
and this is merely taking us back to what they used to be. In fact, in
Cambridge, it STILL counts as a mild winter! We haven't had any -10
nights or any days when it has remained much below zero.

The weather varies, year from year. That's life.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

Calcanthus occidentalis

Hardy here as is Orientals. Wonderful wonderful seed heads and flowers,
Which one is the proper Allspice tree?
I grew a couple from seed but never managed to get cuttings to strike.

Janet