Old 09-03-2009, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default improving soil drainage without sand

john zeiss wrote:
I have a lot of plants in Pots in a very small garden, and like to move them
around quite a bit according to whats in flower.

I like to have a free *draining* soil in the pots, but adding sand ends up
making them very heavy; especially the terracotta ones.

Is there anything I can use to 'add' to the soil to improve drainage, that
will not result in a increase in weight? Thanks.

I grow a few Japanese maples in pots, although not nearly as many as
some do. It is essential to have very free draining soil for them.

I add coco shells, small caliber pine bark. Some people use straight
rough ground pine bark.

I also use cat litter, but you have to have the right kind based on
diatomite or similar. I believe the Tescos premium brand is meant to be
excellent, see http://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basicscatlitter.htm.

I use cat litter for in ground planting also, because it seems to not
interfere with natural water flow as much as other lighteners like peat.

-E