Old 09-03-2009, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default improving soil drainage without sand

"john zeiss" wrote

I have a lot of plants in Pots in a very small garden, and like to move
them around quite a bit according to whats in flower.

I like to have a free *draining* soil in the pots, but adding sand ends up
making them very heavy; especially the terracotta ones.

Is there anything I can use to 'add' to the soil to improve drainage,
that will not result in a increase in weight?

I use fine bark chips as used in Orchid composts.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden