Old 10-03-2009, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jonathan[_3_] Jonathan[_3_] is offline

Default Kiwi Fruit Vine - withstand frosts?

On 10 Mar, 14:26, Eddy
wrote:
Hello All. Haven't been here for a while. Hope you're all thriving.

We have a Kiwi Fruit vine in the greenhouse. Leafless at the moment but
once it's back in leaf it will again start it frantic attempt to get out
through the roof.

We are wondering whether to train it onto the bottom of a big new
trellis within the greenhouse, forcing it to fill the whole trellis
before reaching the roof

OR

whether to plant it on a trellis outside. However, we are nervous about
doing this because this little valley in South Shropshire is a bit of
frostbowl in winter. For example, our choisias have simply not survived
here. We're 250m above sea level.

Is a Kiwi Fruit likely to survive outside in this location?

Thanks,
Eddy.

We grew a pair farily high up in the Cotswolds for twenty years and
never had a problem, even when it was down at -10*C. Having moved, we
have now abandoned the project; we only had flowers once in that time
and never any fruit. Probably a pruning failure, I used to cut it back
hard to keep it under control.

Jonathan