Old 10-03-2009, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Kiwi Fruit Vine - withstand frosts?

Hello All. Haven't been here for a while. Hope you're all thriving.

We have a Kiwi Fruit vine in the greenhouse. Leafless at the moment but
once it's back in leaf it will again start it frantic attempt to get out
through the roof.

We are wondering whether to train it onto the bottom of a big new
trellis within the greenhouse, forcing it to fill the whole trellis
before reaching the roof

OR

whether to plant it on a trellis outside. However, we are nervous about
doing this because this little valley in South Shropshire is a bit of
frostbowl in winter. For example, our choisias have simply not survived
here. We're 250m above sea level.

Is a Kiwi Fruit likely to survive outside in this location?

Thanks,
Eddy.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Mar, 14:26, Eddy
wrote:
Hello All. Haven't been here for a while. Hope you're all thriving.

We have a Kiwi Fruit vine in the greenhouse. Leafless at the moment but
once it's back in leaf it will again start it frantic attempt to get out
through the roof.

We are wondering whether to train it onto the bottom of a big new
trellis within the greenhouse, forcing it to fill the whole trellis
before reaching the roof

OR

whether to plant it on a trellis outside. However, we are nervous about
doing this because this little valley in South Shropshire is a bit of
frostbowl in winter. For example, our choisias have simply not survived
here. We're 250m above sea level.

Is a Kiwi Fruit likely to survive outside in this location?

Thanks,
Eddy.

We grew a pair farily high up in the Cotswolds for twenty years and
never had a problem, even when it was down at -10*C. Having moved, we
have now abandoned the project; we only had flowers once in that time
and never any fruit. Probably a pruning failure, I used to cut it back
hard to keep it under control.

Jonathan
Old 10-03-2009, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Eddy contains these words:

Is a Kiwi Fruit likely to survive outside in this location?

Yes.

I hope you have a self-fertile variety? My year-old vines have survived
this winter, and here in East Anglia we've had sub-zero temperatures for
weeks on end - some of them rather crisp...

--
Rusty
Old 10-03-2009, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:

The message
from Eddy contains these words:

Is a Kiwi Fruit likely to survive outside in this location?

Yes.

I hope you have a self-fertile variety? My year-old vines have survived
this winter, and here in East Anglia we've had sub-zero temperatures for
weeks on end - some of them rather crisp...

Jonathan and Rusty, thanks, this sounds like good news.

I forgot to say that besides the choisias dying here because of the cold
we've also lost IN THE GREENHOUSE two bougainvilleas and a hibiscus.
The Kiwifruit survives in the greenhouse but it's in few of the other
losses that we've been so wary of putting it outside.

Eddy.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Eddy contains these words:

Is a Kiwi Fruit likely to survive outside in this location?

Yes.

I hope you have a self-fertile variety? My year-old vines have survived
this winter, and here in East Anglia we've had sub-zero temperatures for
weeks on end - some of them rather crisp...

Jonathan and Rusty, thanks, this sounds like good news.

I forgot to say that besides the choisias dying here because of the cold
we've also lost IN THE GREENHOUSE two bougainvilleas and a hibiscus.
The Kiwifruit survives in the greenhouse but it's in few of the other
losses that we've been so wary of putting it outside.

I wouldn't know a choisia(s?) if it tripped me up. Bourgainvilleas -
know little of them, but hibiscus survives outside here - well, there
are a couple of slightly different ones which predate my occupation by a
significant period, judging from their size.

Spalding Bulbs and Plants are offering a mini Chinese Gooseberry (AKA
Kiwi) with small fruit which (allegedly) needs no peeling.

--
Rusty

Old 23-04-2011, 04:47 AM
Steve Gill's Avatar
Registered User

I bought a self fertile variety last year (Jenny) planting it outside. I thought that there was no way that it would have survived the winter we have just had, but how wrong I was. It is thriving.

[OT] Return after a while to find chaos! On topic - frosts and tomatoes. David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 11 26-09-2007 01:23 PM
My mulberry tree got hit by the frosts Kathryn Vickers Australia 2 12-10-2006 11:58 PM
Grape vine/kiwi fruit? Andy Hunt United Kingdom 21 09-01-2004 01:33 PM
Frosts John Edgar United Kingdom 15 24-09-2003 10:12 PM
"First Frosts" Jayne United Kingdom 20 16-05-2003 08:44 AM