Old 10-03-2009, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default What to replace?

On 9/3/09 16:44, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
It doesn't seem anyone is able to do a lot of gardening at present, so I
thought I'd ask what people have lost to the harsh weather and what they're
going to replace it with when they can get out there? Same plant or try
something new and different, perhaps?

I don't think we'll know what we have lost Sacha until everything starts
to burst into bud. It's then that the strain of the winter, prolonged
cold and wet weather and maybe even vine weevil damage will show up
best. I bet we're all going to lose things we never thought we would
lose! Hebes look really sad at the minute and several hardier shrubs
have had their top growth browned.

Janet

I think what prompted me to ask this is that things are just beginning to
show signs of life - or not. Some we can't be sure of yet, of course. But
I thought we'd lost some lovely arums in a pot but when we inspected them
more closely today, they seem to be pretty firm where it matters, even if a
bit soggy on top. I'm still a bit nervous about the evergreen Ags, however!
I'm also feeling a bit 'spring like' because I potted up hundreds of baby
tomato plants the other day and ditto Pelargoniums and the thought of those
lovely sturdy babies growing into nice big adolescents was very heartening!
And the birds are pretty optimistic, too, despite this last cold spell and a
couple of gales/high winds, one of which woke me up this morning at about
4am. That blew through quite quickly but it was fierce while it lasted.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com