Old 10-03-2009, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default What to replace?

"Sacha" wrote in message
It doesn't seem anyone is able to do a lot of gardening at present, so I
thought I'd ask what people have lost to the harsh weather and what
they're
going to replace it with when they can get out there? Same plant or try
something new and different, perhaps?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

I've lost a beautiful golden yellow argyranthemum which I'd had for years.
I'm really going to miss that and will replace it, although not in the same
raised bed. I spent Saturday removing the shrub itself and one or two other
dead bits .. a thalictrum, an aquilegia, herbaceous potentilla and some
dubious-looking bulbs. I improved the soil and put in Clematis Josephine,
'My Mum' red rose (pressie from best friend after my mother died), two new
potentillas, an orangey diascia, three papaver bracteatum, narcissus 'Rip
van Winkle', a few allium atropurpureum, ... and space for a couple of other
bits. I want to pop in some Crocus 'Remembrance' under the 'My Mum' rose,
but I need to buy those again (dratted squirrel .. mutter, mutter). There
was already a Rosa 'Sunrise' and Clematis Multiblue and some golden
marjorum. The good news is that, when I lifted my Cyclamen hederifolium to
move it slightly, the tuber was the size of a large side plate :~). It's
one I sowed myself a few years ago. I was really pleased then to see it had
terrifically patterned leaves, but the size of that tuber made me quite weak
with pride. Disgusting behaviour, I know, but I was so chuffed to see it.
It's thriving. :~))

I've also lost my Isoplexis canariensis and some Calendula canariensis
(which had survived the previous winter), not surprising, perhaps. I may
have lost my Melianthus major, but there's time yet for it to shoot from the
crown. Any number of other things look rather dodgy, but it's still early
days yet.

Spider