Old 15-03-2009, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

Default help with seed starting mix

On Mar 15, 5:27*pm, "Gloria" wrote:
Charlie wrote in message

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 21:32:33 GMT, "Gloria"
wrote:

I decided to try starting a few tomato plants from seed for the first
time,
but I'm having trouble. *I'm using large peat pots and I'm filling them
with
jiffy seed starting mix. *How do you get this stuff wet? *It repels water
rather than soaking it in. *Is there a secret to *getting this starting
mix
wet?

Thanks,
Gloria

Peat, when dry, takes time to absorb water

Set the containers in another container of water and it will slowly
absorb and wick up the water, likely more than needed. *Set them out
and let them drain.

Another solution is to wet your starting mix in a container and work
the moisture in, by mixing and adding water. *Takes a while. *Let it
sit for a day or so to equalize.

After it has taken up moisture, be sure not to let it dry out again.

Charlie

Thanks, Charlie. *I think I'll try your second solution. *At least I know
it's normal for peat to resist taking the water right away....

Thanks,
Gloria

I also use a spray bottle to keep the top moist. Seems to take it a
little better than pouring. Absorption from the bottom is best ans
won't take long to start working for you.

MJ