Old 15-03-2009, 09:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default help with seed starting mix

I decided to try starting a few tomato plants from seed for the first time,
but I'm having trouble. I'm using large peat pots and I'm filling them with
jiffy seed starting mix. How do you get this stuff wet? It repels water
rather than soaking it in. Is there a secret to getting this starting mix
wet?

Thanks,
Gloria

Old 15-03-2009, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 21:32:33 GMT, "Gloria"
wrote:

I decided to try starting a few tomato plants from seed for the first
time,
but I'm having trouble. I'm using large peat pots and I'm filling them
with
jiffy seed starting mix. How do you get this stuff wet? It repels water
rather than soaking it in. Is there a secret to getting this starting
mix
wet?

Thanks,
Gloria

Peat, when dry, takes time to absorb water

Set the containers in another container of water and it will slowly
absorb and wick up the water, likely more than needed. Set them out
and let them drain.

Another solution is to wet your starting mix in a container and work
the moisture in, by mixing and adding water. Takes a while. Let it
sit for a day or so to equalize.

After it has taken up moisture, be sure not to let it dry out again.

Charlie

Thanks, Charlie. I think I'll try your second solution. At least I know
it's normal for peat to resist taking the water right away....

Thanks,
Gloria

Old 15-03-2009, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

wrote:

[...]

I also use a spray bottle to keep the top moist. Seems to take it a
little better than pouring. Absorption from the bottom is best ans
won't take long to start working for you.

MJ
Old 15-03-2009, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Gloria" wrote:

I decided to try starting a few tomato plants from seed for the first time,
but I'm having trouble. I'm using large peat pots and I'm filling them with
jiffy seed starting mix. How do you get this stuff wet? It repels water
rather than soaking it in. Is there a secret to getting this starting mix
wet?

Use hot water with a few drops of dishwashing liquid per gallon added as
a surfactant to rehydrate your seed mix.
Old 16-03-2009, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 21:32:33 GMT, Gloria wrote:
I decided to try starting a few tomato plants from seed for the first time,
but I'm having trouble. I'm using large peat pots and I'm filling them with
jiffy seed starting mix. How do you get this stuff wet? It repels water
rather than soaking it in. Is there a secret to getting this starting mix
wet?

Hot, near-boiling, water.

You may have better luck with plastic seedling containers... peat pots tend to
wick moisture away from seedings, and seedlings transplanted outdoors with the
peat pot still on tend to be stunted compared to plants transplanted from a
plastic or clay pot.

Thanks,
Gloria

Old 16-03-2009, 06:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/15/2009 1:32 PM, Gloria wrote:
I decided to try starting a few tomato plants from seed for the first time,
but I'm having trouble. I'm using large peat pots and I'm filling them with
jiffy seed starting mix. How do you get this stuff wet? It repels water
rather than soaking it in. Is there a secret to getting this starting mix
wet?

Thanks,
Gloria

Instead of a commercial mix, make your own. See my
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_start_seeds.html.

Plastic pots (which I generally refuse to use) are best for starting
seeds or rooting cuttings. That's because they don't need frequent
watering and because you can easily remove the plants from them.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 16-03-2009, 01:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Kay Lancaster" wrote in message
[...]

I'd rather use the peat pots, but they're not the problem, it's the seed
starting mix, but thanks to all the great responses, I've got it wet and the
seeds are planted. You're absolutely right about leaving the peat pot
on......I've learned from experience to always tear the peat pot completely
off of any plant I buy that is in a peat pot. I've had plants that I bought
in peat pots in the past that didn't thrive even though they looked great
when I set them out. My investigation determined that the peat didn't break
down and the roots got pot bound after planting, even though I tore the
bottom out.

Thanks,
Gloria

Old 16-03-2009, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Gloria" wrote in message
.. .
I decided to try starting a few tomato plants from seed for the first time,
but I'm having trouble. I'm using large peat pots and I'm filling them
with jiffy seed starting mix. How do you get this stuff wet? It repels
water rather than soaking it in. Is there a secret to getting this
starting mix wet?

Thanks,
Gloria

I find using very hot water helps get it wet. Or pour some very hot water
in the bag, mix it as best as you can, and let the moisture soak in.