Old 16-03-2009, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default help with seed starting mix

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 21:32:33 GMT, Gloria wrote:
I decided to try starting a few tomato plants from seed for the first time,
but I'm having trouble. I'm using large peat pots and I'm filling them with
jiffy seed starting mix. How do you get this stuff wet? It repels water
rather than soaking it in. Is there a secret to getting this starting mix
wet?

Hot, near-boiling, water.

You may have better luck with plastic seedling containers... peat pots tend to
wick moisture away from seedings, and seedlings transplanted outdoors with the
peat pot still on tend to be stunted compared to plants transplanted from a
plastic or clay pot.

Thanks,
Gloria