Old 16-03-2009, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge[_2_] Rusty_Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Do Cats Get the Message

The message
from "TheScullster" contains these words:

Hi all

I know this is a recurring theme on this group - methods for repelling our
feline "friends".
Was wondering whether repeated chase-outs actually result in the offending
creature learning that a garden is a no-go-zone.

No.

If so, what level of deterrent is necessary?

Find a chemical distributor and get a canister of aluminium ammonium
sulphate. Sprinkle the crystals on the ground where they go.

The chemical breaks down into garden-friendly compounds, and the cats
smell something humans can't.

Simple chasing out at high speed whenever they are sighted
Chasing and soft missiles - e.g. wet mud
Catapult with hard missiles
Well directed water (I'm considering one of those high powered kids water
gun things ATM)

From what I've read in this group, the retail concoctions and electronic
gizmos aren't worth bothering with.

True.