Old 16-03-2009, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DaveP DaveP is offline

Default Identification if possible please

Sacha wrote:
I think the answer is plenty of air around them! *;-) * Can't remember if
it's Codonopsis we have growing in the prop. House. *I know someone gave it
to Ray and David P identified whatever-it-is. *The smell is so disgusting
that I had to ask him to move it from near the door to right down the other
end because I could see customers almost reeling as they were bludgeoned by
it. *I will have to be very brave and risk checking its label tomorrow.
It's unutterably disgusting!

I'll certainly vouch for that. The stench is so sickening it is
almost indescribable. It is a Plectranthus, appropriately named P.
foetidus and I've never before experienced such a foetid stink.
Incredibly, I accepted the offer of a plant and even though it was put
in the boot, the smell drifted into the car and nearly made me sick on
the way home. Untouched it's not so bad (except on a hot sunny day),
but brush past it and the foul aroma follows you around. Dead rats
and rotting meat are one bad enough, but this is something else. I
planted mine out in a dry sunny spot and it flowered pleasingly -
actually its rather attractive to look at. Mine lived on for a couple
of years, but brushing past it was a nightmare and eventually it had
to go. Urgh!