Old 09-03-2009, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Identification if possible please

On Mar 9, 9:42*am, "Jeff Layman" wrote:

I'm pleased someone could identify the species. *But have you got the genus
name correct? *

According to the RHS Dictionary, it should be Clerodendrum.

Point taken - not being infallible, I occasionally lapse into spelling
as I speak and speaking so fast that 'drum' and 'dron' become almost
indistinguishable. I did similar with Yucca elephantipes for several
years - suddenly adding an extra 'h' to make elephantiphes. Don't
know when or how it happened, but when tens of thousands of plant
names are swirling about in the grey matter for 40 or so years, a few
are bound to get slightly mucksed up from time to time.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
http://i40.tinypic.com/2qxauly.jpg

This was growing Mounts Botanical Gardens at West Palm Beach and I
thought it was beautiful. For size comparison see my hand. Would it
be possible to grow or is it a hot place tree/shrub which maybe could
survive in a heated garden room, which I don't have, yet.

Many thanks

It's lovely whatever it is, if you find one could you get one for me
please....

Old 09-03-2009, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Jeff Layman" contains these words:

wrote:
In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

This is one of the cases where the correct name is not clear to someone
who is not a complete ICBN lawyer. On the one hand Linnaeus used the
form Clerodendrum, on the other hand orthographical mistakes are to be
corrected, and Linnaeus doesn't replicate Burman's spelling is his
citation, so he didn't obviously intend to change the spelling. IPNI has
standardised on Clerodendrum, so presumably that is correct, but it's
not obvious why it is.

Consistency :-)

Seriously - that will be the justification, but God alone knows how
they came to that conclusion (I am sure that they don't). Anyway,
it doesn't matter, any more than Buddleia versus Buddleja.

It doesn't really matter to me which one is "correct". But I think it does
matter because if it isn't standardised, other incorrect versions will
start
to appear. How long before we get Buddleya because it sounds right (and it
isn't in the spellchecker anyway!)?

Ran this through the speelchucker, and from the paragraph beginning
'Seriously', it pointed at 'Buddleya', 'Buddleja' and 'spellchecker'.

It offered 'Buddleia' as an alternative to the obvious, but it had no
idea what a spellchecker was...

--
Rusty
Old 11-03-2009, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
On 8/3/09 16:58, in article
, "Judith in
France" wrote:

On Mar 8, 4:37*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 8/3/09 16:25, in article
, "Judith

in France" wrote:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2qxauly.jpg

This was growing Mounts Botanical Gardens at West Palm Beach and I
thought it was beautiful. *For size comparison see my hand. *Would it
be possible to grow or is it a hot place tree/shrub which maybe could
survive in a heated garden room, which I don't have, yet.

Many thanks

Could be a Cestrum, possibly fasciculatum Newellii. *If it is, it wouldn't
be hardy with you, so you'd have to grow it in a pot. *Even then, it might
not get to that size of leaf and flower cluster in your garden but it's
still a lovely thing and worth growing. *Cestrum nocturnum is another
stunner in a sunny garden because it releases a fabulous scent at night.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ihave discovered how and when Clerodendrum became Clerodendron in my
mind. A few days ago, was trying to remember when I acquired a couple
of plants and went back into databases that I've maintained over the
years. Musing through, I discovered that in the original db,
Clerodendrum fragrans is shown as an acquisition in 1996 and that it
was dug up in 1998. In later version, 2002 Clerodendrum ugandense is
entered in 2002, subsequently corrected to C. myricoides 'Ugandense'
and then Rotheca myricoides ssp. myricoides, which is it's current
name. In 2005 Clerodendron glabrum appears, received as seed from
Africa resulting in only two very weak seedlings that failed to
survive. So, up until and probably well after 2002 I was growing
Clerodendrum, but by or from 2005 onward I had mentally changed it to
Clerodendron ... or should I say that I'd simply reverted to the
original pre-Linnaean name? ;-)
Old 12-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_3_] View Post
On 8/3/09 16:25, in article
, "Judith
in France"
wrote:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2qxauly.jpg

This was growing Mounts Botanical Gardens at West Palm Beach and I
thought it was beautiful. For size comparison see my hand. Would it
be possible to grow or is it a hot place tree/shrub which maybe could
survive in a heated garden room, which I don't have, yet.

Many thanks

Cestrum nocturnum is another
stunner in a sunny garden because it releases a fabulous scent at night.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
But some do have a revolting smell in the daytime, notably Cestrum parqui.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/3/09 12:56, in article ,
"beccabunga" wrote:

'Sacha[_3_ Wrote:
;832832']On 8/3/09 16:25, in article
,
"Judith
in France"
wrote:
-
http://i40.tinypic.com/2qxauly.jpg

This was growing Mounts Botanical Gardens at West Palm Beach and I
thought it was beautiful. For size comparison see my hand. Would it
be possible to grow or is it a hot place tree/shrub which maybe could
survive in a heated garden room, which I don't have, yet.

Many thanks-

Cestrum nocturnum is another
stunner in a sunny garden because it releases a fabulous scent at
night.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

But some do have a revolting smell in the daytime, notably Cestrum
parqui.

I don't find it *that* strong a scent - shall have to go and inspect it now!

Old 16-03-2009, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

I don't find it *that* strong a scent - shall have to go and inspect it now!

If you can cope with turkestanica and Codonpsis clematidea you'll have
no trouble with anything else, including blocked drains

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 16-03-2009, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/3/09 14:50, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

I don't find it *that* strong a scent - shall have to go and inspect it now!

If you can cope with turkestanica and Codonpsis clematidea you'll have
no trouble with anything else, including blocked drains

Janet

I think the answer is plenty of air around them! ;-) Can't remember if
it's Codonopsis we have growing in the prop. House. I know someone gave it
to Ray and David P identified whatever-it-is. The smell is so disgusting
that I had to ask him to move it from near the door to right down the other
end because I could see customers almost reeling as they were bludgeoned by
it. I will have to be very brave and risk checking its label tomorrow.
It's unutterably disgusting!

Old 16-03-2009, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
I think the answer is plenty of air around them! *;-) * Can't remember if
it's Codonopsis we have growing in the prop. House. *I know someone gave it
to Ray and David P identified whatever-it-is. *The smell is so disgusting
that I had to ask him to move it from near the door to right down the other
end because I could see customers almost reeling as they were bludgeoned by
it. *I will have to be very brave and risk checking its label tomorrow.
It's unutterably disgusting!

I'll certainly vouch for that. The stench is so sickening it is
almost indescribable. It is a Plectranthus, appropriately named P.
foetidus and I've never before experienced such a foetid stink.
Incredibly, I accepted the offer of a plant and even though it was put
in the boot, the smell drifted into the car and nearly made me sick on
the way home. Untouched it's not so bad (except on a hot sunny day),
but brush past it and the foul aroma follows you around. Dead rats
and rotting meat are one bad enough, but this is something else. I
planted mine out in a dry sunny spot and it flowered pleasingly -
actually its rather attractive to look at. Mine lived on for a couple
of years, but brushing past it was a nightmare and eventually it had
to go. Urgh!