Old 19-03-2009, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R Bill R is offline

Default Planting late

The moderator wrote:
"Bill R" wrote in message
The moderator wrote:
This is my first garden and it wasn't ready to plant until now.
According to the local planting schedule I missed the planting dates for
some of my early crops.

Can I plant late and still get healthy plants? Peas, Spinach, Broccoli,
potatoes?

Thanks

Yes, most likely you can still get a good crop but that depends a lot on
the weather. Be sure to use the right variety of seeds (or plants) for
your area.

The online Farmer's Almanac talks about phases of the moon. Should I wait
for the moon phase or plant as soon as possible?

Planting by the phases of the moon, according to a lot of studies, isn't
helpful getting a better crop. Plant your "cool crop" garden now.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

"You are never to old to play in the dirt"

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL