Old 21-03-2009, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] martin_pentreath@hotmail.com is offline

Default Manky manhole covers

On 21 Mar, 14:58, Kate Brown wrote:
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009, Muddymike wrote

Has anyone had good results painting cast iron manhole covers? I have two
outside the front door set in paving. Both are rust coloured and not very
pretty.

Hammerite?

We've got a coal hole cover by our front door which was painted when
we moved in - not quite the same as a manhole cover, it's a circular
cast-iron grill which lets the cellar breathe. Anyway, it's somewhat
ornate, and the paint spoiled it a bit. I stripped the paint off and
polished it up using black grate polish. It looks great, needs to be
repolished maybe three times a year, which takes about three minutes.

You get a proper cast-iron silky-sheen black look - might not be
appropriate for a manhole cover, but I throw it in for consideration.

Cheers,

Martin