Old 21-03-2009, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Manky manhole covers

Has anyone had good results painting cast iron manhole covers? I have two
outside the front door set in paving. Both are rust coloured and not very
pretty.

Mike

Old 21-03-2009, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009, Muddymike wrote
Has anyone had good results painting cast iron manhole covers? I have two
outside the front door set in paving. Both are rust coloured and not very
pretty.

Hammerite?

Of course I am...

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally

Old 21-03-2009, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21 Mar, 14:58, Kate Brown wrote:
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009, Muddymike wrote

Has anyone had good results painting cast iron manhole covers? I have two
outside the front door set in paving. Both are rust coloured and not very
pretty.

Hammerite?

We've got a coal hole cover by our front door which was painted when
we moved in - not quite the same as a manhole cover, it's a circular
cast-iron grill which lets the cellar breathe. Anyway, it's somewhat
ornate, and the paint spoiled it a bit. I stripped the paint off and
polished it up using black grate polish. It looks great, needs to be
repolished maybe three times a year, which takes about three minutes.

You get a proper cast-iron silky-sheen black look - might not be
appropriate for a manhole cover, but I throw it in for consideration.

Cheers,

Martin
Old 21-03-2009, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Muddymike wrote:
Has anyone had good results painting cast iron manhole covers? I have
two outside the front door set in paving. Both are rust coloured and
not very pretty.

Mike

Not done this but......thoroughly clean with a mild acid, rinse, apply two
part epoxy paint form a yacht chandlers. Stuff for boats stands the most
harsh conditions.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 21-03-2009, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Muddymike" contains these words:

Has anyone had good results painting cast iron manhole covers? I have two
outside the front door set in paving. Both are rust coloured and not very
pretty.

Paint them with yoghurt and they'll soon be covered with lovely green
moss and slippery algae and lichen...

--
Rusty
Old 21-03-2009, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Kate Brown contains these words:
On Sat, 21 Mar 2009, Muddymike wrote

Has anyone had good results painting cast iron manhole covers? I have two
outside the front door set in paving. Both are rust coloured and not very
pretty.

Hammerite?

Of course I am...

Groan!

But only in stature...

--
Rusty
Old 21-03-2009, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote ...
Has anyone had good results painting cast iron manhole covers? I have two
outside the front door set in paving. Both are rust coloured and not very
pretty.

Yes, my f-in-law painted one years ago with nothing special and it stood the
test of time.
Hammerite should do the job well as long as it doesn't take a lot of
traffic.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-03-2009, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 16:51:43 GMT, Rusty_Hinge
wrote:

The message
from "Muddymike" contains these words:

Has anyone had good results painting cast iron manhole covers? I have two
outside the front door set in paving. Both are rust coloured and not very
pretty.

Paint them with yoghurt and they'll soon be covered with lovely green
moss and slippery algae and lichen...

Oh I do like your lovely green ... whooooopsadsaisy !!

Glass Top Covers RedForeman ©® Freshwater Aquaria Plants 12 12-11-2003 02:03 AM
chinese wolfberry and other edible ground covers sam Gardening 0 26-05-2003 10:08 AM
Lighting and glass covers question Robert Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 20-04-2003 06:20 AM
Metal Drain Covers? Ada Gardening 1 06-04-2003 01:08 AM
fountain covers Niall United Kingdom 4 14-03-2003 04:44 PM