Old 22-03-2009, 08:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com George.com is offline

Default Racking off cider

no doubt some buggers, especially you charlie, are going to laugh at this.
Uncharitable huas.

Friday was racking off night for the cider. I started 10.30pm, not realising
how long it would take, finished after 1 am.

Groan, what a bloody job that was. Cleaning & sterilising everything, bad
enough.

5 x 5 litre carbouys from the first cider pressing. 1 x 23 litre plastic
brewing barrell from the second cider pressing. around 47-48 L all up.
7 x 5 litre carbouys (inlcuding the 5 with cider brewing in them), 2 x 3
litre carbouys and 3 x 2 litre old sherry flagons. About 47 L capacity.

Trying to figure what brew to syphon in to which carbouy/flagon was
interesting. Because I had several experiements with apple juice & brewing
techniques I wanted to try and keep each seperate through to tasting time. I
sort of got it ok. Easy part that.

Syphoning. Not my strong point. ABout 2 litres ended up on the laundry floor
I reckon before I had it sorted. Place stunk like a brewery. Floor got
mopped out twice.

Worse still, mouth fulls of just fermented cider. Easy you say, spit out.
Yup, I learnt that after I had swallowed about 12 mouthfuls. Gees it tasted
crap.

Next morning I woke up feeling a little seedy. Not hung over, just a slight
headache from drinking something bad.

The 23 L brewing barrell batch tastes not the best, it has a slight sulphur
taste to it. I sterilised with sodium metabisulphate. Instructions said not
to rinse as it is harmless to the brew in the concentrations used. I
understand that the sulphur taste should clear in time anyway.

The 5 x 5l brews each tatsed slightly different. The two that I sulphited
and used cultured yeast taste similar to the 23L batch. The best stuff is
where I didn't sulphite and used either wild yeast or a mixture of wild &
cultured yeast. They had a cleaner taste and a little more appley. The
sulphited brews taste, at this point, kind of like the shitey commercial
ciders we get over here. Shitey and fake. Shitey tasting commercial ciders,
with a shitey taste.

Leave to sit for at least 3 or more months I reckon & then bottle. Leave for
at least another 3 months and maybe try one or two, leave longer if taste
requires.

rob