Old 22-03-2009, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default vegetables recommended by chefs

In article , Charlie wrote:

Had to re-pot some just germinated (seeded 2 weeks ago) pepo squash,
bitter melons, and peanuts because they were lifting the lid of the
germination tray. Peppers coming along slowly.

I'm getting away from the small-celled germ trays, (and getting away
from starting some things period) and starting peppers and maters in
four to six inch pots, and starting them only four weeks before last
frot date, my thinking being, their root structure doesn't become
hindered before setting them out. Last year I started all my tomatoes
in flats and pricked them out into four inch pots when they hit two
true leaves and they exploded in growth and didn't seem to slow down
when transplanted.

Hmmm. Not only am I using the small cells, but when I get multiple
germinations, which is my norm, I separate and replant them. This is
especially gratifying to me, when I do it with over-priced "starts"
($3.49/6) from the nursery.
I'll let you know how it works out.

I've gotten seed-starting things out and pulled seeds from the freezer
and am in process of making the "final" decisions on how much to
over-start....as usual. Younger son is gardening this year, so I've
much more to start....he's a novice and didn't ever pay much
attention, except to his plate, but he, and DIL, are both enthused and
ready to go...just need a little direction and help. His location is
likely to be the best of the three of ours. Looking at roughly 1200
sq. ft. with full sun all day, plus a separate asparagus bed of
however big he wants. Elder son has roughly the same amount of garden
in raised beds with about 4/5 day full sun.

(Sigh) I'm lookin' at a half-a-dozen patches that amount to about
400 sq. ft. and a 1/2 day of Sun at the best.

We've planted six fruit trees at each of their places and I have four
going here at The Home and have decided to plant at least three more
this year.

Summer shade and healty food, not a bad deal.

Charlie

"The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best
time is now." -- African proverb, or Chinese, or who knows whose

--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvCCc4g9wM8&NR=1