Old 22-03-2009, 08:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Raccoon !!

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 10:07:11 EDT, ©anadian Ponder "©anadian
wrote:

I lived in a new suburb and the only outdoor wildlife was field mice.
Three years ago we saw our first skunk, last year the squirrels showed
up and nor my worst nightmare....RACCOONS this year.

I saw one on the edge of my pond last night and I scarred it away but it

will be back. I have a motion light but it doesn't scare this baby.
Luckily I have a net which I will put on tonight.

Are there any other options other than motion sprinklers which I don't
like. How about fox urine or high frequency pest control sensors ?

Many thanks !!!

And even motion sprinklers can fail if you don't turn them on... or the
batteries are getting weak, and/or the setting isn't high enough. I read
that raccoons can get use to them too, but here I think it was the above,
since the raccoons had been around since 2000 and I didn't have a problem
till 2008. Regardless, after a losing a favored koi, even having 3 motion
sprinklers I wasn't sleeping well, so I put up a hot wire. No problems
since doing that. The raccoons have been visiting the squirrel feeders, s
I know they're still here. One has a very distinct stump for a tail. Dog
fight?

Anyway, I'm hoping DS can run a wire around my frog pool when I set it up
this next week. Last year I used wire fencing that worked, but was a pain
for me to work around. The hot wire is on a timer, so no problems with me
contacting it, though I did let the cat out too early one morning. ~ j
an
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us