Old 21-03-2009, 02:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Raccoon !!

I lived in a new suburb and the only outdoor wildlife was field mice.
Three years ago we saw our first skunk, last year the squirrels showed
up and nor my worst nightmare....RACCOONS this year.

I saw one on the edge of my pond last night and I scarred it away but it
will be back. I have a motion light but it doesn't scare this baby.
Luckily I have a net which I will put on tonight.

Are there any other options other than motion sprinklers which I don't
like. How about fox urine or high frequency pest control sensors ?

Many thanks !!!

Old 21-03-2009, 05:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I would suggest attempting to trap the raccoon - HavaHeart live trap - or
whatever they're called rather than erect a barrier/deterrent for the coon.
They're smart enough to eventually figure out a work around if they want the
food badly enough.

That's my 2 cents.

JB

Old 22-03-2009, 12:35 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"©anadian Ponder" "©anadian wrote in message
I lived in a new suburb and the only outdoor wildlife was field mice. Th

ree
years ago we saw our first skunk, last year the squirrels showed up and

nor
my worst nightmare....RACCOONS this year.

I saw one on the edge of my pond last night and I scarred it away but i

will be back. I have a motion light but it doesn't scare this baby.
Luckily I have a net which I will put on tonight.

Are there any other options other than motion sprinklers which I don't
like. How about fox urine or high frequency pest control sensors ?

Many thanks !!!

=================================
All of these measures are temporary. We learned to our great sorrow
and expense that only nets kept them out of our ponds. Acquaintances
who tried the motion sprinklers said they didn't work for long. The fish
predators would find a way........ :-(

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 22-03-2009, 12:35 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"JB" wrote in message
m...
I would suggest attempting to trap the raccoon - HavaHeart live trap - o

whatever they're called rather than erect a barrier/deterrent for the co

on.
They're smart enough to eventually figure out a work around if they want

the food badly enough.

That's my 2 cents.

JB

============================
Another will soon appear. Been there, done that....... there
was no end to the coons and skunks and water snakes and herons and large
bullfrogs
except good snug nets.

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 22-03-2009, 08:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 10:07:11 EDT, ©anadian Ponder "©anadian
wrote:

I lived in a new suburb and the only outdoor wildlife was field mice.
Three years ago we saw our first skunk, last year the squirrels showed
up and nor my worst nightmare....RACCOONS this year.

I saw one on the edge of my pond last night and I scarred it away but it

will be back. I have a motion light but it doesn't scare this baby.
Luckily I have a net which I will put on tonight.

Are there any other options other than motion sprinklers which I don't
like. How about fox urine or high frequency pest control sensors ?

Many thanks !!!

And even motion sprinklers can fail if you don't turn them on... or the
batteries are getting weak, and/or the setting isn't high enough. I read
that raccoons can get use to them too, but here I think it was the above,
since the raccoons had been around since 2000 and I didn't have a problem
till 2008. Regardless, after a losing a favored koi, even having 3 motion
sprinklers I wasn't sleeping well, so I put up a hot wire. No problems
since doing that. The raccoons have been visiting the squirrel feeders, s
I know they're still here. One has a very distinct stump for a tail. Dog
fight?

Anyway, I'm hoping DS can run a wire around my frog pool when I set it up
this next week. Last year I used wire fencing that worked, but was a pain
for me to work around. The hot wire is on a timer, so no problems with me
contacting it, though I did let the cat out too early one morning. ~ j
an
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 22-03-2009, 08:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

©anadian Ponder wrote:

I lived in a new suburb and the only outdoor wildlife was field mice.
Three years ago we saw our first skunk, last year the squirrels showed
up and nor my worst nightmare....RACCOONS this year.

I saw one on the edge of my pond last night and I scarred it away but i

will be back. I have a motion light but it doesn't scare this baby.
Luckily I have a net which I will put on tonight.

Are there any other options other than motion sprinklers which I don't
like. How about fox urine or high frequency pest control sensors ?

Many thanks !!!

Animals get used to stuff like fox urine. I have yet to see any research
that says high frequency sounds do anything. You might try getting a trap
and relocating the raccoon. Just curious, what don't you like about the
motion sprinklers?

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 20-04-2009, 12:39 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Animals get used to stuff like fox urine. I have yet to see any research
that says high frequency sounds do anything. You might try getting a trap
and relocating the raccoon. Just curious, what don't you like about the
motion sprinklers?

Having water continuously turned on to a device is an accident waiting
to happen.

Old 20-04-2009, 03:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Electric fence

What happens if the electric wire comes in contact with plants.

Any chance of burning etc.

Old 20-04-2009, 06:46 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 22:06:21 EDT, ©anadian Ponder "©anadian
wrote:

What happens if the electric wire comes in contact with plants.
Any chance of burning etc.

As in catching fire or burning the plant? Mine isn't strong enough to bur
thru, like our horse wire could. If it comes in contact with plants it's
going to short and not work. Mine has a light that shows me if that is
happening. If one has an over hanging plant just run the wire thru ridged
plastic tubing at that spot. I keep tall plants clear of mine, and trim
where I need to. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 20-04-2009, 06:46 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Having water continuously turned on to a device is an accident waiting
to happen.

I suppose it could be. I originally had mine hooked up to a water timer so
it was off during the day, till I found out herons come during the day too.
We had it hooked to the hose for a number of years without a problem. Then
DS changed it to underground pvc and copper piping so it wasn't taking up a
hose spigot. Plus no hose on the ground. 9 years, so far so good. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 25-04-2009, 07:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 10:37:31 EDT, ©anadian Ponder "©anadian
wrote:

Thanks....I purchased one and will set it up.
Will have it on a timer to only turn on after dark. I am only worried
about raccoons.

Btw, bait it like Jim does for deer. Take a few foil strips and put peanu
butter on them and attach to the wire. This way the raccoon doesn't walk
into the wire with force and freak out, instead it gets a zap on the nose
and that's that.

Unlike my cat who I assume hit the wire and jumped over it into the ponds.
Unfortunately or thankfully it was timed to go off just seconds afterward
so he could get out. He came in with tail all frizzed and damp underneath
,
so I sort of knew what happened. Took months before he'd go out the door
down there. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 26-04-2009, 03:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I am heavily in favor of the ducational as compared to the accidental
approach to hotwires. They immediately get aware and are less likely
to leap over the wire by accident. They are outside and still when it
zaps them.

I am writing from St Vincent, where I will be teaching for the next
couple of weeks.

Jim

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

raccoon problems cr Ponds 6 16-05-2019 06:15 AM
Raccoon Repellent bobkiely Ponds 93 13-08-2003 10:22 PM
Raccoon visit #2 bobkiely Ponds 17 07-07-2003 02:47 AM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 3 24-02-2003 11:10 PM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 2 24-02-2003 10:29 PM