Old 22-03-2009, 08:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Planting Medium for Water Lillies, etc.

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 13:22:38 EDT, "JB" wrote:

Years back I was able to purchase some pond "soil" at Lowe's & Home Depot.
It was made by Scott's, I think. It was ceramic particles actually and not
soil. It was nice because it did not float or cloud the water and should the
Koi uproot the plant it was easy enough to scoop into the basket and replant
the whatever.

I guess I could use very small pebbles like you can get for landscaping but
I wanted to check in with you guys first.
JB

One of the problems will small pebbles, koi/goldfish can get them stuck in
their mouth. Whatever choice of medium, cover it will larger rocks so they
can't do that.

I personally use my sandy soil, as I like to fertilize my flowering plants,
cannas & lilies mostly. Not a good idea to do that using pebbles. Too much
flow thru and thus leaching. When it comes to iris, I use big rocks just to
keep them steady and upright in the basket. I use those "throw-tabs" on
them. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us