Old 23-03-2009, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Racking off cider

Charlie wrote in :

I racked mine to 12 oz bottles, and after siphoning to six
bottles, with the resulting mess, I changed course. I
sterilized several 1/2 and one gallon juice jugs and siphoned to
them and then filled the bottles with a funnel from the juice
jugs. Still made a bit of a mess....that last hlaf-inch fills
*fast*.

get a racking cane! seriously, it's a wonderful invention. on second
thought, get two. we broke a few when we first started bottling, but
once you get one you won't ever bother with syphoning again.

I left the bottles in their boxes, thinking that I
could assembly line cap them and be good to go. Hell no, the
capper wouldn't fully scrunch the caps, so I had to take them
all out, cap, and put em' back....wasted steps.

BTDT. we do an assembly line. my 8 year old does the capping (we go
over again after, because he hasn't quite got the proper strength for
the hand capper)

lee now fermenting Maple ale from extract. will be brewing an all
grain Maple this week