Old 23-03-2009, 08:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com George.com is offline

Default Racking off cider

"enigma" wrote in message
Charlie wrote in :

I racked mine to 12 oz bottles, and after siphoning to six
bottles, with the resulting mess, I changed course. I
sterilized several 1/2 and one gallon juice jugs and siphoned to
them and then filled the bottles with a funnel from the juice
jugs. Still made a bit of a mess....that last hlaf-inch fills
*fast*.

get a racking cane! seriously, it's a wonderful invention. on second
thought, get two. we broke a few when we first started bottling, but
once you get one you won't ever bother with syphoning again.

yes, things you learn after doing it wrong first time around. The guy in the
home brew shop said nah, you don't need a pump syphon. Just give it a good
suck and then bung in the carbouy when the fluid starts. PMSL. He didn't
mention the box of asprin the next day.

Anyhow, there may not be a second time Lee, depending on the results in 6
months.

rob