Old 23-03-2009, 02:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default Planting Medium for Water Lillies, etc.

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 10:14:18 EDT, Jim and Phyllis
wrote:

We have a cement bottom on the pond. Our lilies are 1. in pots with
clay, 2. in pots with 2" river rock and 3. loose because they have
jumped. All seem to be thriving. We have not fertilized them. Tough
little things!

I'm a bit jealous of you guys who have lots of room and plenty of
plants and get good results without fertilizer. My space and number
of plants is more limited and I try to raise a more prolific plant by
selecting the best media and fertilizer that gives more blooms per
plant. I found best performance for me was obtained with garden soil
(Dug from a nearby flower bed.) covered in stones the fish couldn't
move and fertilized with a higher phosphorous number than the nitrogen
or potash, such as a 1-2-1 type, (6-12-6 or 15-30-15) the easiest
fertilizer is the once a year type and the one I use now is a 12-20-8
and it works well and I only have to fertilize lilies once a year.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb