Old 23-03-2009, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Racking off cider

Charlie wrote in :

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 01:33:21 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

get a racking cane! seriously, it's a wonderful invention. on
second thought, get two. we broke a few when we first started
bottling, but once you get one you won't ever bother with
syphoning again.

Thanks, that looks like a good idea. One other question....do
you use a valve on the fill end of your siphon line? Pinching
the tube between bottles is a bit....messy!

yes, our racking cane has a valve. still, i line up the bottles to
be filled on a rag rug. there's always drips, no matter what. the
rag rug soaks up more than a towel & lies flatter.

I remember your advice to someone a while back about getting
more than one hydrometer, which I did. After getting them, I
see how they can break easily.

of course, & they're *expensive*. haven't broken one lately here
though.

Last year you gave me the address for your supplier. I lost it
when my machine crapped out last fall and son has been ordering
for me from Northern Brewers, but I seem to remember your guys
looked good.

hmm. was it Mt. Washington Homebrew Supply?
http://www.brewbyyou.com/
lee