Old 23-03-2009, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Racking off cider

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 01:33:21 +0000 (UTC), enigma
wrote:

get a racking cane! seriously, it's a wonderful invention. on second
thought, get two. we broke a few when we first started bottling, but
once you get one you won't ever bother with syphoning again.

Thanks, that looks like a good idea. One other question....do you use
a valve on the fill end of your siphon line? Pinching the tube
between bottles is a bit....messy!

Fermentation supply shop, should have a filling cane as well. It has a
spring loaded cylinder on the bottom that opens when pressed against the
bottom of the bottle and closes when lifted up. When the bottle is
completely full, removing the cane will leave a bit of ullage in the
bottle which will allow for thermal expansion and contraction without
the bottle leaking.

I remember your advice to someone a while back about getting more than
one hydrometer, which I did. After getting them, I see how they can
break easily.

Last year you gave me the address for your supplier. I lost it when
my machine crapped out last fall and son has been ordering for me from
Northern Brewers, but I seem to remember your guys looked good.

Thanks
Charlie

--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is