Old 12-04-2003, 08:56 PM
rajiv

Default sarcochilus hartmanii woes

Right now. its still cold up where i live. Do you think if i kept it
out in a protected place for a few weeks , then it would initiate
spikes by june. What is the normal flowering time for the species?

rajiv

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message m...
Rajiv,

Too warm. They are from areas of Australia that regularly go down into the
50s and upper 40s at night.

A new member of the San Francisco Society was complaining about hers - it
looked GORGEOUS, huge, lots of leaves, but she said it had never flowered in
6+ years. Patient lady. We all told her it was an outdoor plant in the Bay
Area. That was in January. This April meeting she was all excited - after
putting it outside in a protected patio, the plant had 5 spikes.

Many orchids do not like the limited range of temperatures we enjoy in our
homes. A lot of people here in SF will move all their indoor orchids outside
in the spring for 4-6 weeks and then bring them back in. This usually
results in all the plants deciding to bloom. The standard practice is that
many orchids enjoy a 10-15 degree day/night differential in order to bloom
properly.

Good luck!

-Eric in SF
http://www.erichunt.com/orchids/photos.html

"rajiv" wrote in message
om...
I have a Sarcochilus hartmannii which I had bought a couple years