Old 11-04-2003, 09:44 PM
rajiv

Default sarcochilus hartmanii woes

I have a Sarcochilus hartmannii which I had bought a couple years
back. Initially the plant was growing on a pure moss media when i
bought it and a part of it still is. Now the plant grows like a weed
and has multiple growths. However it has not flowered for me since I
bought it. A year back i divided it and planted a part of it in bark
without any flowering results.

What am i doing wrong. Is it the temperature. i maintain a temperature
of 70F+ all year round or is it being potted in the wrong kind of
media. please advice.

Thanks

rajiv
Old 12-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Wendy

This is worth reading but not sure if it will help making yours bloom. I
have several plants but
only one has bloomed? Cheers Wendy
http://www.anos.org.au/information/a...arcochilus.htm
om...

Old 12-04-2003, 12:08 AM
sneff

Rajiv,

I grow my Sarcochilus hartmannii in small sized pine bark, with a small
percentage of perlite. It flowers regularly for me, but not profusely - I
don't think I have enough humidity for its tastes.

I wouldn't use moss as a first choice, as I'm pretty sure it likes regular
watering, but very open drainage. Perhaps your temperature is an issue?
hartmanni grows in the mountains Great Dividing Range of Eastern Australia -
from QLD down to NSW. The temperature there regularly dips below 70F at
night - even in the warmer months. This is simply conjecture though.

Hope it helps - they really are beautiful little blooms.

sneff

om...

Old 12-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Eric Hunt

Rajiv,

Too warm. They are from areas of Australia that regularly go down into the
50s and upper 40s at night.

A new member of the San Francisco Society was complaining about hers - it
looked GORGEOUS, huge, lots of leaves, but she said it had never flowered in
6+ years. Patient lady. We all told her it was an outdoor plant in the Bay
Area. That was in January. This April meeting she was all excited - after
putting it outside in a protected patio, the plant had 5 spikes.

Many orchids do not like the limited range of temperatures we enjoy in our
homes. A lot of people here in SF will move all their indoor orchids outside
in the spring for 4-6 weeks and then bring them back in. This usually
results in all the plants deciding to bloom. The standard practice is that
many orchids enjoy a 10-15 degree day/night differential in order to bloom
properly.

Good luck!

-Eric in SF
http://www.erichunt.com/orchids/photos.html

"rajiv" wrote in message
om...
I have a Sarcochilus hartmannii which I had bought a couple years

Old 12-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Mick Fournier

Rajiv,

Queen of Sarchochilus in Australia/New Zealand, Lorraine Fagg, once told me
in a private snail mail letter (after swearing me to 7 years of secrecy)
that the secret to blooming out Sarcos was sun-dried sheep shit added to the
media. I suppose though that you could use your hair dryer instead of the
sun to dry the stuff out if you live in a cloudy region. She was adamant
that only poop from sheep will work... no goats!

Mick

Old 12-04-2003, 08:56 PM
rajiv

Right now. its still cold up where i live. Do you think if i kept it
out in a protected place for a few weeks , then it would initiate
spikes by june. What is the normal flowering time for the species?

rajiv

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message m...
[...]

"rajiv" wrote in message
om...
I have a Sarcochilus hartmannii which I had bought a couple years

Old 13-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Eric Hunt

Rajiv,

According to www.orchidspecies.com, it normally blooms winter and spring. I
bet yours can be tricked into blooming, though.

-Eric in SF
http://www.erichunt.com/orchids/photos.html

om...

"Eric Hunt" wrote in message

[...]

"rajiv" wrote in message
om...
I have a Sarcochilus hartmannii which I had bought a couple years

Old 13-04-2003, 01:56 AM
Patrick A. Smith

lurk off

LOL!

For a stateside source of sheep shit contact HBI.

lurk on

Old 13-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Mick Fournier

Patrick,

Awwww, how precious... my poopsie woopsie Patrick in St Pete trying to
debunk me. Patrick, are you trying to ridicule my Sarco suggestion?

Mick

PS. Ask any REAL sarco grower in Australia and they will tell you that sun
baked sheep shit patties peeled off the highway works on Sarcos. This is no
joke as you think it is... this is 100% fact.

---------------------------

"Patrick A. Smith" wrote in message
jurk off

LOL!

For a stateside source of sheep shit contact HBI.

jurk on

Old 13-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Patrick A. Smith

Mick,

Debunk you!!! I'm your number one fan! The only reason I even read RGO
is to see what you have to say. I am most disappointed when you are off
gallivanting around the world and away from making your posts. I'm also
certainly disappointed that I apparently have not honed in on your sense
of humour, as I thought my comment would at least illicit a small
chuckle on your part. Personally I don't give a rats ass about sheep
shit, but if you say it works then I can already see the neighbors
complaining to the authorities about the malodorous fragrance emanating
from my estate.

Poopsie Woopsie

PS. I didn't think it was a joke. I can attest to the value of manure.
My three dogs keep my yard well fertilized.

PSS. Sometimes it is difficult to see where to draw the line as to your
seriousness. Reference ten easiest orchids to grow.