Old 24-03-2009, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Racking off cider

Bill wrote in
:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tidewatermuse/134222791/

i think the dolphin on the right is much nicer looking...

we were in FL at the end of February (won't do *that* again! live oak
pollen & i do not get along well) & saw lots of dolphins and
manatees.
also had an interesting conversation with one of the workers at
Sunken Gardens about snapping turtles. Sunken Gardens has a common
snapper that has been there for 50 years. the original owners found
him in the Swanee River, but his DNA is that of a Mississippi River
snapper. apparently, since snappers are such homebodies, they can
tell by the DNA exactly which part of which river/pond a snapper
comes from, at least in the South. i wonder if DNA could tell me
where my little snapping turtle belongs. i've had him almost 6 years
& he's getting a bit large for his container (he's the size of my
hand now). if DNA matters, he should go home (upstate NY). otherwise,
if he does outgrow my abilty to house him, i'll be looking for a
nature center that needs a people friendly snapper for educational
use. he's too used to people to release.
lee