Old 12-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Fun Reading (was: How to lose customers - vent)

The message
from (Cat) contains these words:

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
This week I spent a morning clearing zillions of griselinia littoralis
seedlings out of woodland (one of those unfortunate introductions which
threatens to take over) and another morning weeding a bed of exotic
plants in the sunny sheltered walled garden. Last week I spent my time
spreading spent hops as mulch in an area I'd previously weeded, and
barrowing compost from the heaps to new beds. Winter work included path
maintenance, bramble clearance, shifting and burning debris after the
clearance of dead or fallen trees, and helping with the clearance and
construction of a new garden area for scented rhododendrons. Oh, and we
planted out 7,000 pansy seedlings in a formal area.

Yow! That's an impressive amount of work! Do you have special tools or
techniques that make it go faster, or do you have a crazy amount of
energy?

There are usually other people working there too, so together we can
shift an impressive amount of work in a few hours; though energy levels
vary considerably so each volunteer just works at their own speed and
within their own capabilities. Everything is done by hand, with hand
tools (which are supplied), and those who aren't experienced are shown
what to do.

Janet.

avoid getting wet. This is the defining metaphor of my life right now."