Old 12-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Janet Baraclough

Default Fun Reading (was: How to lose customers - vent)

The message
from jammer contains these words:

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 05:57:55 GMT, (Cat)
wrote:

the sunny sheltered walled garden.

Do you have a picture of that? If not, what do you grow in it?

I haven't any of my own, but I found these on the web, taken by Martin
Junius. Scroll down to see parts of the walled garden.

http://www.m-j-s.net/photo/scot1997/...-20070100.html

The walled garden at Brodick Castle was built in 1710. Part of it is
planted to represent Victorian formal gardening much later, with rose
arbours and patterned areas of annuals. But because it's such a warm
microclimate (due to aspect, shelter and the Gulf stream),especially
against the wall at the top end, successive gardeners have added all
sorts of exotic subtropical shrubs and climbers from the Antipodes,Chile
and South Africa like giant echiums, metrosideros and watsonia. Arran is
roughly at 56 degrees north.

The larger garden (about 80 acres) is mostly woodland, famous for its
rhododendrons and camellias.

Janet.

Janet. (Isle of Arran, Scotland).