Old 27-03-2009, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Weed/shrub removal-questions

"Bill" wrote in message
In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bill wrote:

Me, I'm lazy. I like a come-along and something sturdy to which to
attach it.

My brother in-law never cut down a tree. Just dug it out. I'm a
come-along owner but he just dug and used the weight to act as a lever
and popped it out. I thought a lot of work but no stump and it does not
have to be done the same day. If I look at the lack of a chain saw,
fuel, maintenance etc it sort of makes sense, This on about 30 trees
over 20 years. Slow and steady won the cheapness race.
Granted not everyone has the time but still a viable option in you
have a vision of what you would like in the future. The word is
envision and the scale can be grandiose or subtle.

Bill Waxing

I doubt a come-along would pull out a standard, mature tree but on
shrubs and dwarf trees, it saves a lot of sweat. For a mature tree, that
your not in a hurry to remove your brother in laws technique sounds
intriguing. If he could roll in a fulcrum, it might be even better. How
does he deal with the final stage, when he is digging and the tree is
almost ready to go. When I'm cutting, I like to have a QUICK escape exit.
Oh, potatoes are in (German Butter Ball).

It is a slow drop with a couple of pushes. Axed at points that appear
and asked to be cut. Kind of weird but the roots do expose them selves.
This on trees up to about 15 inches in diameter. The fulcrum provided
by the depth of the hole. Treešs like maple have a shallow hole wear as
oaks provide more leverage. Once the tree is tilted it can be pruned on
the way down. Guess I do not have to point out never be below a
possible drop and kinetic energy can be stored in living things. Still
this can be done with a shovel and a bow saw.

I've taken down more trees than I can count and I don't believe you. A tree
with a 15" diam. trunk, say a typical maple, will be humongous... 30'-40'
tall with a spread to match. If someone is down in a hole nibbling away at
the roots and the tree starts to fall the weight of the crown will cause it
to come crashing all the way, a person would get no warning, even if someone
yelled they couldn't move quickly enough, they'd likely get killed, or very
seriously hurt... even on the lee side a root can snap between a mans legs
like a whip slicing him in two. Only a total moron would attempt such a
stupid feat (30 times no less), or expect anyone to believe such BS.