Old 24-02-2003, 04:03 AM
Andy Rutledge

Default [IBC] Prove the Age of Trees

----- Original Message -----
From: "John - NJ"
I was looking at the following web page which lists trees for sale.
http://www.j-bonsai.com/collections.html
Some of the trees are listed as 400, 800 and 1,000 years old. My wife
wanted to know how you could prove that the trees are that old.
Anyone know?
Thanks, John

---------------------

Short of the methods described earlier, no. Further, there is no reason
whatever to do so. On a basic level, it's wholly irrelevant. When bonsai
get into that neighborhood of age, the only reason that the "estimated" ages
are included in descriptions is either to serve as something of an
appellation or as a way of communicating to those who are not familiar with
the trees just how storied and important their pedigree is in the art.
These are merely estimated ages in all but a select few cases. Many
enthusiasts are familiar with these trees and this information is not
offered for them.

If these trees were only 75 years old, but appeared just as they do now,
they'd be no less beautiful. If no one cared to hazard a guess as to their
ages, they'd be no less beautiful. It doesn't matter.

In all cases, when the age of a bonsai is included in a description,
consider the source and then disregard the information for all but
horticultural concerns.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
zone 8, Texas