Old 24-02-2003, 03:03 AM
John - NJ

Default [IBC] Prove the Age of Trees

I was looking at the following web page which lists trees for sale.

http://www.j-bonsai.com/collections.html

Some of the trees are listed as 400, 800 and 1,000 years old. My wife
wanted to know how you could prove that the trees are that old.

Anyone know?

Thanks, John

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-02-2003, 03:15 AM
Jim Lewis

I was looking at the following web page which lists trees for
sale.

http://www.j-bonsai.com/collections.html

Some of the trees are listed as 400, 800 and 1,000 years old.

My wife
wanted to know how you could prove that the trees are that old.

Anyone know?

In some cases -- not many, I'm sure -- the province of a
masterwork tree is known, from owner to owner back into the
distant past -- though 1000 years seems a tad excessive. ;-)

Other cited ages are no more than guestimates (at least for live
trees; someone could kill the tree and do a C14 test, I suppose,
or could have bored a core out of the trunk -- damaging the tree)
and you need to allow for a considerable amount or exaggeration.
Especially for trees that are being offered for sale.

The simple answer is: You can't.

Buyer beware!

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-02-2003, 04:03 AM
Andy Rutledge

Old 24-02-2003, 04:27 AM
Chris Cochrane

RE;' trees reported up to 1000 years old, Andy writes,
If these trees were only 75 years old, but appeared
just as they do now, they'd be no less beautiful. If
no one cared to hazard a guess as to their ages,
they'd be no less beautiful. It doesn't matter.

Of course it matters... it just doesn't reach Andy's level of interest. Who
owned a tree or in whose presence a tree was displayed can also be
important. Recreating the style of an old tree is not comparable to an
object with a significant history.

It matters. The provenance of modern bonsai artists matters, too,
especially for trees typical of their style. We are not removed from
reflection on a well-done bonsai as an artifact of cultural significance
separate from its formal qualities.

In all cases, when the age of a bonsai is included in a
description, consider the source and then disregard
the information for all but horticultural concerns.

...CHUCKLE...

Best wishes,
Chris... C. Cochrane, , Richmond VA USA

Old 24-02-2003, 04:39 AM