Old 28-03-2009, 12:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
gar_newbie gar_newbie is offline

Default Request for comments

On Mar 27, 8:10Â*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

Â*gardengal wrote:
On Mar 26, 6:28Â*pm, gar_newbie wrote:
Hi Everyone,

First time gardener from Ohio need your help. Â*TIA.

I am planning for vegetable plants in a wooden boxes of size 4 foot x
4 foot x 8 inches (=~ 11 cubic foot). Four of these boxes makes 45
cubic foot approximately.

I filled these four boxes with the soil less medium as following:
Â* Â* Â* Â* Coarse Vermiculite Â* 15 cubic foot
Â* Â* Â* Â* Sphagnum Peat Moss Â* 15 cubic foot
Â* Â* Â* Â* `Compost kind of` Â* 15 cubic foot (1 cubic foot each of below)

I have searched 50+ of garden centers locally (zip code: 45040) and
couldn't find so called ³COMPOST². Â*For next year I will be preparing
my own compost so this question won't arise. Â*But, to begin my first/
fresh vegetable garden; in the place of compost I used the following
mix. Â*I mixed them *VERY* thorough spending a week.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++
Question: is the following mix 'OK' to begin my garden? Â*Am I sort of
something here? Â*Am I going to kill the plants with Over dosage? Â*Any
other suggestions/ideas to help myself is greatly appreciated.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

My `Compost kind of` - 15 cubic foot is:

1.Mother Nature's Â* SWEET PEET Â* Composted soil conditioner Â* 1 cubic
foot
2.Nea's Â* POSY POWER Â* Powerful soil booster Â* 1 cubic foot
3.Premier Horticulture Â* PRO MIX Â* Growing mix Â* 1 cubic foot
4.Nature's Helper Â* MUSHROOM COMPOST Â* Organic soil Â* 1 cubic foot
5.Garden Magic Â* COMPOST AND MANURE Â* Peat & Manure Â* 1 cubic foot
6.Ace Â* COMPOSTED MANURE Â* Loosens soil Â* 1 cubic foot
7.New Plant Life Â* MUSHROOM COMPOST SOIL Â* Soil amendment - 1 cubic
foot
8.Garden Scape Â* PEAT HUMUS Â* Decomposed Organic Å* - 1 cubic foot
9.Garden Scape Â* COW MANURE Â* will not burn Â* 1 cubic foot
10.Organic Valley Â* HUMUS Â* ready to use Â* 1 cubic foot
11.Organic Valley Â* COW MANURE PLUS ORGANIC COMPOST Â* Ready to use Â* 1
cubic foot
12.Organic Valley Â* ORGANIC COMPOST PLUS MANURE Â* Compost & manure Â* 1
cubic foot
13.Garick Â* MOO NURE Â* Organic Compost with Cow Manure Â* 1 cubic foot
14.Country Stone Â* COMPOSTED COW MANURE Â* Soil conditioner Â* 1 cubic
foot
15.Earth Gro Â* ORGANIC HUMUS AND MANURE Â* Soil amendment Â* 1 cubic
foot

Thanks & Regards
Ganesh

In detail (if you are still reading this post ;-) ) Â*Assuming the
product is what the cover says.

1.Mother Nature's Â* SWEET PEET Â* Composted soil conditioner Â* 1 cubic
foot
Organic material made from wood shavings, farm manure & plant fibers
(USCC)

2.Nea's Â* POSY POWER Â* Powerful soil booster Â* 1 cubic foot
All Organic: Horse manure, sphagnum Peat, Brewer's Grain, Gypsum &
lime
0.7% Â* Â*0.45% Â* 1.0%

3.Premier Horticulture Â* PRO MIX Â* Growing mix Â* 1 cubic foot
Compost Enrich (from shrimp, seaweed, softwood bark), Microrise
inside, Sphagnum Peat Moss, Peat Humus (OMRI)

4.Nature's Helper Â* MUSHROOM COMPOST Â* Organic soil Â* 1 cubic foot

5.Garden Magic Â* COMPOST AND MANURE Â* Peat & Manure Â* 1 cubic foot
Reed sedge Peat, Manure
0.1% Â* Â*0.1% Â* Â*0.1%

6.Ace Â* COMPOSTED MANURE Â* Loosens soil Â* 1 cubic foot
0.5% Â* Â*0.5% Â* Â*0.5%

7.New Plant Life Â* MUSHROOM COMPOST SOIL Â* Soil amendment - 1 cubic
foot

8.Garden Scape Â* PEAT HUMUS Â* Decomposed Organic Å* - 1 cubic foot
A decomposed organic forest peat fiber

9.Garden Scape Â* COW MANURE Â* will not burn Â* 1 cubic foot
1% Â* Â* Â*1% Â* Â* Â*1%

10.Organic Valley Â* HUMUS Â* ready to use Â* 1 cubic foot

11.Organic Valley Â* COW MANURE PLUS ORGANIC COMPOST Â* Ready to use Â* 1
cubic foot
0.05% Â* 0.05% Â* 0.05% (USCC)

12.Organic Valley Â* ORGANIC COMPOST PLUS MANURE Â* Compost & manure Â* 1
cubic foot
0.05% Â* 0.05% Â* 0.05%

13.Garick Â* MOO NURE Â* Organic Compost with Cow Manure Â* 1 cubic foot
0.2% Â* Â*0.2% Â* Â*0.2% (USCC)

14.Country Stone Â* COMPOSTED COW MANURE Â* Soil conditioner Â* 1 cubic
foot
Cow manure, Peat and Humus
0.05% Â* 0.05% Â* 0.05%

15.Earth Gro Â* ORGANIC HUMUS AND MANURE Â* Soil amendment Â* 1 cubic
foot
90% organic humus (peat, compost, forest products) and 10% manure
0.05% Â* 0.05% Â* 0.05%

I swore I'd answered this post, but my response hasn't not
materialized :-) Perhaps I addressed it to the author rather than to
the forum and it went directly to him via email......I have that
problem now and again!

gar_newbie, if you did not receive my response, let me know and I'll
repost. As I stated in it, I think you may have some problems with
your 'mix' going forward.

Your final mix should be about 20% clay 20% -30% sand. You may want to
pulverize (as best you can) a bag of charcoal (not briquettes) and throw
it in as well.
--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is

I think I didn't understand the MEL's mix the way its actual intention
is.

Based on the book 'square foot gardening' by 'mel
bartholomew' (www.squarefootgardening.com) MEL's mix is:
1/3 Peat Moss
1/3 Coarse Vermiculite
1/3 Compost (from Various sources)

Whenever I visited a garden store in the search of 'COMPOST'- I Just
bought one bag of whatever is available with them. (to ensure various
sources)

The boxes are sitting on the ground just on top of weed protector
cloth.

Thanks
Ganesh