Old 27-03-2009, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Request for comments

Hi Everyone,

First time gardener from Ohio need your help. TIA.

I am planning for vegetable plants in a wooden boxes of size 4 foot x
4 foot x 8 inches (=~ 11 cubic foot). Four of these boxes makes 45
cubic foot approximately.

I filled these four boxes with the soil less medium as following:
Coarse Vermiculite – 15 cubic foot
Sphagnum Peat Moss – 15 cubic foot
`Compost kind of` – 15 cubic foot (1 cubic foot each of below)

I have searched 50+ of garden centers locally (zip code: 45040) and
couldn't find so called “COMPOST”. For next year I will be preparing
my own compost so this question won't arise. But, to begin my first/
fresh vegetable garden; in the place of compost I used the following
mix. I mixed them *VERY* thorough spending a week.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++
Question: is the following mix 'OK' to begin my garden? Am I sort of
something here? Am I going to kill the plants with Over dosage? Any
other suggestions/ideas to help myself is greatly appreciated.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

My `Compost kind of` - 15 cubic foot is:

1.Mother Nature's – SWEET PEET – Composted soil conditioner – 1 cubic
foot
2.Nea's – POSY POWER – Powerful soil booster – 1 cubic foot
3.Premier Horticulture – PRO MIX – Growing mix – 1 cubic foot
4.Nature's Helper – MUSHROOM COMPOST – Organic soil – 1 cubic foot
5.Garden Magic – COMPOST AND MANURE – Peat & Manure – 1 cubic foot
6.Ace – COMPOSTED MANURE – Loosens soil – 1 cubic foot
7.New Plant Life – MUSHROOM COMPOST SOIL – Soil amendment - 1 cubic
foot
8.Garden Scape – PEAT HUMUS – Decomposed Organic … - 1 cubic foot
9.Garden Scape – COW MANURE – will not burn – 1 cubic foot
10.Organic Valley – HUMUS – ready to use – 1 cubic foot
11.Organic Valley – COW MANURE PLUS ORGANIC COMPOST – Ready to use – 1
cubic foot
12.Organic Valley – ORGANIC COMPOST PLUS MANURE – Compost & manure – 1
cubic foot
13.Garick – MOO NURE – Organic Compost with Cow Manure – 1 cubic foot
14.Country Stone – COMPOSTED COW MANURE – Soil conditioner – 1 cubic
foot
15.Earth Gro – ORGANIC HUMUS AND MANURE – Soil amendment – 1 cubic
foot

Thanks & Regards
Ganesh

In detail (if you are still reading this post ;-) ) Assuming the
product is what the cover says.

1.Mother Nature's – SWEET PEET – Composted soil conditioner – 1 cubic
foot
Organic material made from wood shavings, farm manure & plant fibers
(USCC)

2.Nea's – POSY POWER – Powerful soil booster – 1 cubic foot
All Organic: Horse manure, sphagnum Peat, Brewer's Grain, Gypsum &
lime
0.7% 0.45% 1.0%

3.Premier Horticulture – PRO MIX – Growing mix – 1 cubic foot
Compost Enrich (from shrimp, seaweed, softwood bark), Microrise
inside, Sphagnum Peat Moss, Peat Humus (OMRI)

4.Nature's Helper – MUSHROOM COMPOST – Organic soil – 1 cubic foot

5.Garden Magic – COMPOST AND MANURE – Peat & Manure – 1 cubic foot
Reed sedge Peat, Manure
0.1% 0.1% 0.1%

6.Ace – COMPOSTED MANURE – Loosens soil – 1 cubic foot
0.5% 0.5% 0.5%

7.New Plant Life – MUSHROOM COMPOST SOIL – Soil amendment - 1 cubic
foot

8.Garden Scape – PEAT HUMUS – Decomposed Organic … - 1 cubic foot
A decomposed organic forest peat fiber

9.Garden Scape – COW MANURE – will not burn – 1 cubic foot
1% 1% 1%

10.Organic Valley – HUMUS – ready to use – 1 cubic foot

11.Organic Valley – COW MANURE PLUS ORGANIC COMPOST – Ready to use – 1
cubic foot
0.05% 0.05% 0.05% (USCC)

12.Organic Valley – ORGANIC COMPOST PLUS MANURE – Compost & manure – 1
cubic foot
0.05% 0.05% 0.05%

13.Garick – MOO NURE – Organic Compost with Cow Manure – 1 cubic foot
0.2% 0.2% 0.2% (USCC)

14.Country Stone – COMPOSTED COW MANURE – Soil conditioner – 1 cubic
foot
Cow manure, Peat and Humus
0.05% 0.05% 0.05%

15.Earth Gro – ORGANIC HUMUS AND MANURE – Soil amendment – 1 cubic
foot
90% organic humus (peat, compost, forest products) and 10% manure
0.05% 0.05% 0.05%
Old 27-03-2009, 04:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 26, 6:28*pm, gar_newbie wrote:
[...]

0.5% * *0.5% * *0.5%

7.New Plant Life – MUSHROOM COMPOST SOIL – Soil amendment - 1 cubic
foot

8.Garden Scape – PEAT HUMUS – Decomposed Organic … - 1 cubic foot
A decomposed organic forest peat fiber

9.Garden Scape – COW MANURE – will not burn – 1 cubic foot
1% * * *1% * * *1%

10.Organic Valley – HUMUS – ready to use – 1 cubic foot

11.Organic Valley – COW MANURE PLUS ORGANIC COMPOST – Ready to use – 1
cubic foot
0.05% * 0.05% * 0.05% (USCC)

12.Organic Valley – ORGANIC COMPOST PLUS MANURE – Compost & manure – 1
cubic foot
0.05% * 0.05% * 0.05%

13.Garick – MOO NURE – Organic Compost with Cow Manure – 1 cubic foot
0.2% * *0.2% * *0.2% (USCC)

14.Country Stone – COMPOSTED COW MANURE – Soil conditioner – 1 cubic
foot
Cow manure, Peat and Humus
0.05% * 0.05% * 0.05%

15.Earth Gro – ORGANIC HUMUS AND MANURE – Soil amendment – 1 cubic
foot
90% organic humus (peat, compost, forest products) and 10% manure
0.05% * 0.05% * 0.05%

I swore I'd answered this post, but my response hasn't not
materialized :-) Perhaps I addressed it to the author rather than to
the forum and it went directly to him via email......I have that
problem now and again!

gar_newbie, if you did not receive my response, let me know and I'll
repost. As I stated in it, I think you may have some problems with
your 'mix' going forward.
Old 28-03-2009, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
gardengal wrote:

On Mar 26, 6:28*pm, gar_newbie wrote:
Hi Everyone,

First time gardener from Ohio need your help. *TIA.

I am planning for vegetable plants in a wooden boxes of size 4 foot x
4 foot x 8 inches (=~ 11 cubic foot). Four of these boxes makes 45
cubic foot approximately.

I filled these four boxes with the soil less medium as following:
* * * * Coarse Vermiculite * 15 cubic foot
* * * * Sphagnum Peat Moss * 15 cubic foot
* * * * `Compost kind of` * 15 cubic foot (1 cubic foot each of below)

I have searched 50+ of garden centers locally (zip code: 45040) and
couldn't find so called ³COMPOST². *For next year I will be preparing
[...]

8.Garden Scape * PEAT HUMUS * Decomposed Organic Š - 1 cubic foot
[...]

Your final mix should be about 20% clay 20% -30% sand. You may want to
pulverize (as best you can) a bag of charcoal (not briquettes) and throw
it in as well.
--

- Billy
"For the first time in the history of the world, every human being is

Old 28-03-2009, 12:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 27, 8:10Β*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

Β*gardengal wrote:
On Mar 26, 6:28Β*pm, gar_newbie wrote:
Hi Everyone,

First time gardener from Ohio need your help. Β*TIA.

I am planning for vegetable plants in a wooden boxes of size 4 foot x
4 foot x 8 inches (=~ 11 cubic foot). Four of these boxes makes 45
cubic foot approximately.

I filled these four boxes with the soil less medium as following:
Β* Β* Β* Β* Coarse Vermiculite Β* 15 cubic foot
Β* Β* Β* Β* Sphagnum Peat Moss Β* 15 cubic foot
Β* Β* Β* Β* `Compost kind of` Β* 15 cubic foot (1 cubic foot each of below)

I have searched 50+ of garden centers locally (zip code: 45040) and
couldn't find so called Β³COMPOSTΒ². Β*For next year I will be preparing
my own compost so this question won't arise. Β*But, to begin my first/
fresh vegetable garden; in the place of compost I used the following
mix. Β*I mixed them *VERY* thorough spending a week.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++
Question: is the following mix 'OK' to begin my garden? Β*Am I sort of
something here? Β*Am I going to kill the plants with Over dosage? Β*Any
other suggestions/ideas to help myself is greatly appreciated.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

My `Compost kind of` - 15 cubic foot is:

1.Mother Nature's Β* SWEET PEET Β* Composted soil conditioner Β* 1 cubic
foot
2.Nea's Β* POSY POWER Β* Powerful soil booster Β* 1 cubic foot
3.Premier Horticulture Β* PRO MIX Β* Growing mix Β* 1 cubic foot
4.Nature's Helper Β* MUSHROOM COMPOST Β* Organic soil Β* 1 cubic foot
5.Garden Magic Β* COMPOST AND MANURE Β* Peat & Manure Β* 1 cubic foot
6.Ace Β* COMPOSTED MANURE Β* Loosens soil Β* 1 cubic foot
7.New Plant Life Β* MUSHROOM COMPOST SOIL Β* Soil amendment - 1 cubic
foot
8.Garden Scape Β* PEAT HUMUS Β* Decomposed Organic Ε* - 1 cubic foot
9.Garden Scape Β* COW MANURE Β* will not burn Β* 1 cubic foot
10.Organic Valley Β* HUMUS Β* ready to use Β* 1 cubic foot
11.Organic Valley Β* COW MANURE PLUS ORGANIC COMPOST Β* Ready to use Β* 1
cubic foot
12.Organic Valley Β* ORGANIC COMPOST PLUS MANURE Β* Compost & manure Β* 1
cubic foot
13.Garick Β* MOO NURE Β* Organic Compost with Cow Manure Β* 1 cubic foot
14.Country Stone Β* COMPOSTED COW MANURE Β* Soil conditioner Β* 1 cubic
foot
15.Earth Gro Β* ORGANIC HUMUS AND MANURE Β* Soil amendment Β* 1 cubic
foot

Thanks & Regards
Ganesh

In detail (if you are still reading this post ;-) ) Β*Assuming the
product is what the cover says.

1.Mother Nature's Β* SWEET PEET Β* Composted soil conditioner Β* 1 cubic
foot
Organic material made from wood shavings, farm manure & plant fibers
(USCC)

2.Nea's Β* POSY POWER Β* Powerful soil booster Β* 1 cubic foot
All Organic: Horse manure, sphagnum Peat, Brewer's Grain, Gypsum &
lime
0.7% Β* Β*0.45% Β* 1.0%

3.Premier Horticulture Β* PRO MIX Β* Growing mix Β* 1 cubic foot
Compost Enrich (from shrimp, seaweed, softwood bark), Microrise
inside, Sphagnum Peat Moss, Peat Humus (OMRI)

4.Nature's Helper Β* MUSHROOM COMPOST Β* Organic soil Β* 1 cubic foot

5.Garden Magic Β* COMPOST AND MANURE Β* Peat & Manure Β* 1 cubic foot
Reed sedge Peat, Manure
0.1% Β* Β*0.1% Β* Β*0.1%

6.Ace Β* COMPOSTED MANURE Β* Loosens soil Β* 1 cubic foot
0.5% Β* Β*0.5% Β* Β*0.5%

7.New Plant Life Β* MUSHROOM COMPOST SOIL Β* Soil amendment - 1 cubic
foot

8.Garden Scape Β* PEAT HUMUS Β* Decomposed Organic Ε* - 1 cubic foot
A decomposed organic forest peat fiber

9.Garden Scape Β* COW MANURE Β* will not burn Β* 1 cubic foot
1% Β* Β* Β*1% Β* Β* Β*1%

10.Organic Valley Β* HUMUS Β* ready to use Β* 1 cubic foot

11.Organic Valley Β* COW MANURE PLUS ORGANIC COMPOST Β* Ready to use Β* 1
cubic foot
0.05% Β* 0.05% Β* 0.05% (USCC)

12.Organic Valley Β* ORGANIC COMPOST PLUS MANURE Β* Compost & manure Β* 1
cubic foot
0.05% Β* 0.05% Β* 0.05%

13.Garick Β* MOO NURE Β* Organic Compost with Cow Manure Β* 1 cubic foot
0.2% Β* Β*0.2% Β* Β*0.2% (USCC)

[...]

conception until death." Β*- Rachel Carson

I think I didn't understand the MEL's mix the way its actual intention
is.

Based on the book 'square foot gardening' by 'mel
bartholomew' (www.squarefootgardening.com) MEL's mix is:
1/3 Peat Moss
1/3 Coarse Vermiculite
1/3 Compost (from Various sources)

Whenever I visited a garden store in the search of 'COMPOST'- I Just
bought one bag of whatever is available with them. (to ensure various
sources)

The boxes are sitting on the ground just on top of weed protector
cloth.

Thanks
Ganesh
Old 28-03-2009, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
gar_newbie wrote:

On Mar 27, 8:10οΏ½m, Billy wrote:
In article
,

οΏ½ardengal wrote:
On Mar 26, 6:28οΏ½m, gar_newbie wrote:
Hi Everyone,

First time gardener from Ohio need your help. οΏ½IA.

I am planning for vegetable plants in a wooden boxes of size 4 foot x
4 foot x 8 inches (=~ 11 cubic foot). Four of these boxes makes 45
cubic foot approximately.

I filled these four boxes with the soil less medium as following:
οΏ½ οΏ½ οΏ½ οΏ½ Coarse Vermiculite – 15 cubic foot
Β* Β* Β* Β* Sphagnum Peat Moss – 15 cubic foot
Β* Β* Β* Β* `Compost kind of` – 15 cubic foot (1 cubic foot each of below)

[...]

8.Garden Scape – PEAT HUMUS – Decomposed Organic οΏ½ - 1 cubic foot

Is there a question?

Old 01-04-2009, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

vermiculite is no longer recommended... it is related to asbestos and inhaling it is
as dangerous. Ingrid