Old 30-03-2009, 03:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
ReelMcKoi ReelMcKoi is offline

Default Frogs........

"Nan" wrote in message

We have had fewer and fewer frogs here in DE also. We used to have a
dozen or so Leopard Frogs in the pond, but I haven't seen one in 2 or
3 years. We do have several Bullfrogs, and they may be the reason for
no Leopards.
Our Peepers started peeping last week. When they are at full tilt we
cannot keep the sliding door open in the den and still hear the TV. We
have not reached that point yet, however. And the temps have been at
freezing or below several nights the past 2 weeks.
I understand frogs are becoming less prolific in the last 10 years. I
do not know why, unless it is loss of habitat. But these guys here
haven't lost anything. We back up to a woods with a lot of marshland/
swamps in it, so they should be happy there.
Hope yours show up, they can be a source of entertainment in a quiet
garden.
Nan in DE
======================
We see one bullfrog. The few frogs seen earlier this month are gone. We
have chorus, leopard, tree, green and cricket frogs here normally. And in
large numbers. Our house is also backed by woods. I'm in a semi-rural are
with hobby ponds and farm ponds being common. No shortage of breeding
places for frogs and toads. It's so unnaturally quiet outside at night th
at
it's
almost spooky.

I don't think it's as much loss of habitat as it is all kinds of chemical
being
used on lawns and gardens. Amphibians absorb in through their skins I re
ad.
When I'm at the garden centers in town I can't help seeing what people ar
buying. I see lots of lawn fertilizers that contain weed killers and gru
killers, I see all kinds of insecticides and other toxic stuff .... and a

good bit of
it washes into ponds and lakes. It may be reaching critical levels where

some
of us live.
--
RM....