Old 01-04-2009, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Nelly Wensdow[_2_] Nelly Wensdow[_2_] is offline

Default What can one grow in sand??

"Buderschnookie" wrote in message

Why do you think it is only sand?
It is a much faster draining soil to be sure, but it is more than just
sand.
With a little basic amending you can enjoy a wonderful and diverse
gardening experience.

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

My mother overwinters in Bonita Spgs & her soil looks & feels like plain
sand. Being of such modest means, my idea of soil amendments is just adding
whatever compost I'd normally produce anyway, which isn't a lot. Native
plants I don't expect much trouble with, it's the other things I might want
to add. A (non-native)grass lawn would not be part of my plans, nor anything
else that'd require what I'd consider an ongoing waste of water. Especially
with the water restrictions they so often seem to have.