Old 30-03-2009, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What can one grow in sand??

I've been very seriously considering moving to sw FL within the next year
(somewhere around Ft Myers & vic.), and would *really* like to hear
everyone's personal disappointments & successes as far as what your
expectations of gardening down there were; I mean of any kind (growing for
sustenance OR ornamentals).
TIA

Old 31-03-2009, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Nelly Wensdow" wrote in message
I've been very seriously considering moving to sw FL within the next year
(somewhere around Ft Myers & vic.), and would *really* like to hear
everyone's personal disappointments & successes as far as what your
expectations of gardening down there were; I mean of any kind (growing for
sustenance OR ornamentals).

Why do you think it is only sand?
It is a much faster draining soil to be sure, but it is more than just sand.
With a little basic amending you can enjoy a wonderful and diverse gardening
experience.

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Old 01-04-2009, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Buderschnookie" wrote in message

Why do you think it is only sand?
It is a much faster draining soil to be sure, but it is more than just
sand.
With a little basic amending you can enjoy a wonderful and diverse
gardening experience.

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky
USDA Zone 6b
http://www.cearbhaill.com

My mother overwinters in Bonita Spgs & her soil looks & feels like plain
sand. Being of such modest means, my idea of soil amendments is just adding
whatever compost I'd normally produce anyway, which isn't a lot. Native
plants I don't expect much trouble with, it's the other things I might want
to add. A (non-native)grass lawn would not be part of my plans, nor anything
else that'd require what I'd consider an ongoing waste of water. Especially
with the water restrictions they so often seem to have.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Nelly Wensdow" wrote in message
My mother overwinters in Bonita Spgs & her soil looks & feels like plain
sand. Being of such modest means, my idea of soil amendments is just
adding whatever compost I'd normally produce anyway, which isn't a lot.
Native plants I don't expect much trouble with, it's the other things I
might want to add. A (non-native)grass lawn would not be part of my plans,
nor anything else that'd require what I'd consider an ongoing waste of
water. Especially with the water restrictions they so often seem to have.

Soils in that area can be vary tremendously from one half mile area to the
next.
I gardened in South Florida for 30 years and grew everything my heart
desired.
Even using the most xeriscape friendly plants available there are thousands
of wonderful choices you just can't get anywhere else.

Most of Lee County is rated either "loamy and siliceous" or "sandy over
clay" according to the soil survey page at
http://www.soilsurvey.org/soilseries...t=Series&st=FL

I'm not saying that different soils and climates don't present unique
challenges, I just think that simply calling it "sand" is a little lazy.
I found the gardening there fascinating and wonderfully rewarding- I'd live
and garden there again in a heartbeat if the housing crisis and homeowners
insurance increases and storms hadn't worn me out.

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky

Old 02-04-2009, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 30, 6:43*pm, "Nelly Wensdow" wrote:
I've been very seriously considering moving to sw FL within the next year
(somewhere around Ft Myers & vic.), and would *really* like to hear
everyone's personal disappointments & successes as far as what your
expectations of gardening down there were; I mean of any kind (growing for
sustenance OR ornamentals).
TIA

For sandy *soil*, melons or peanuts.