Old 02-04-2009, 06:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Fermented Pickles

In article ,
"Andy Petro" wrote:

In home recipes for fermented ( brined ) dill pickles why is Calcium
Chloride or Sodium Benzoate never called for like they are in the commercial
ones.

Short answer is shelf life. When I have made my own pickles they are
used to extend the harvest usually till next year. Then the cycle is
repeated. I have been know to purchase canned pickles with lactic acid.
Calcium chloride I don't know about. However Sodium Benzoate is death
to my taste buds.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

We have 5% of the world's population; we have 25% of the world's
known prison population.