Old 02-04-2009, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default Sterilising home made compost

Broadback wrote:

Thought I would make my own compost for my tubs and save a bit of money.
However is there a practical way of sterilising fairly large amounts,
say about the amount that large shop bought bags contain?

For your entertainment only, my dad had a method:

He used a wooden box, probably an old packing case, inserted a
metal plate at each end and filled it with soil. The plates were
connected to the mains, via an ammeter. Then, add water until
the soil resistance has lowered, and hence the ammeter risen, to
the desired level, leave to simmer. I can smell it now.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.