Old 02-04-2009, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sterilising home made compost

Thought I would make my own compost for my tubs and save a bit of money.
However is there a practical way of sterilising fairly large amounts,
say about the amount that large shop bought bags contain?
Old 02-04-2009, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:

Thought I would make my own compost for my tubs and save a bit of money.
However is there a practical way of sterilising fairly large amounts,
say about the amount that large shop bought bags contain?

For your entertainment only, my dad had a method:

He used a wooden box, probably an old packing case, inserted a
metal plate at each end and filled it with soil. The plates were
connected to the mains, via an ammeter. Then, add water until
the soil resistance has lowered, and hence the ammeter risen, to
the desired level, leave to simmer. I can smell it now.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
Thought I would make my own compost for my tubs and save a bit of money.
However is there a practical way of sterilising fairly large amounts,
say about the amount that large shop bought bags contain?

I've heard that one way to do this is to use a steam generator (such as a
wallpaper stripper) to force the steam through the compost. No idea if it
works, or how much steam you would need for it to be fully effective.

I must say that I've often wondered about the necessity of using sterilised
soil. I guess that if you are trying to germinate seeds, then sterilised
soil has the advantage that what comes up is what you have sown, rather than
a lot of weeds. But in terms of sterilisation to remove bacteria and fungi,
well, perhaps it does more harm than good. Many plants require - or at
least make use of - certain fungi to enable healthy growth. If those are
not present the plant will struggle. Perhaps try using unsterilised compost
and put it in a propagator for a month before you put your seeds in. You
could then pull up anything which germinates, or grows from a piece of root,
before putting in your seeds.

--
Jeff

Old 02-04-2009, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Broadback wrote:
[...]

Or you could microwave it.

Steve

Old 02-04-2009, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote
Broadback wrote:
[...]

I can just see the look on my wife's face if I suggested that! (That "silly
old sod" look)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-04-2009, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 15:34:43 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Thought I would make my own compost for my tubs and save a bit of money.
However is there a practical way of sterilising fairly large amounts,
say about the amount that large shop bought bags contain?

The large roasting tin in the bottom oven of the Aga, overnight.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 2, 6:12*pm, Derek Turner wrote:
On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 15:34:43 +0100, Broadback wrote:
Thought I would make my own compost for my tubs and save a bit of money..
However is there a practical way of sterilising fairly large amounts,
say about the amount that large shop bought bags contain?

The large roasting tin in the bottom oven of the Aga, overnight.

As I have mentioned before as have others, the smell is not to
everyone's taste.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 11:42:17 -0700, moghouse wrote:

As I have mentioned before as have others, the smell is not to
everyone's taste.

The beauty of the Aga is that the ovens vent either through the chimney
or outside in the balanced-flue models. You can leave bread in overnight
in the roasting oven and you don't smell it burning. DAMHIKIJDOK?
Old 03-04-2009, 01:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
[...]

I tend to agree. I've heard about steam sterilising - from the past- but
can't think of any easy way to do this at home. ISTR my grandfather
sterilising soil for his greenhouse with Jeyes Fluid but as it contains
phenol I would not recommend it now.
I have a wonderful compost heap which has had in it annual weeds, lots of
chicken poo, tea bags, woodash, veg peelings etc. It's broken down into
soil to die for. I just accept the weed seedlings I might get and pull them
out. If they are edible for chickens they get them as a snack which
improves the colour of their egg yolks and then gets turned into chicken poo
which goes back on the compost heap and the cycle continues.

Great, isn't it?

Old 03-04-2009, 01:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote
Broadback wrote:
[...]

It would work, though! For a small quantity. I'm not likely to be putting
my 2 4ft x 6ft compost heaps in my microwave any time soon, however, I'd be
bankrupted by the electricity bill..

Old 03-04-2009, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:
I tend to agree. I've heard about steam sterilising - from the past-
but can't think of any easy way to do this at home. ISTR my
grandfather sterilising soil for his greenhouse with Jeyes Fluid but
as it contains phenol I would not recommend it now.
I have a wonderful compost heap which has had in it annual weeds,
lots of chicken poo, tea bags, woodash, veg peelings etc. It's
broken down into soil to die for. I just accept the weed seedlings I
might get and pull them out. If they are edible for chickens they
get them as a snack which improves the colour of their egg yolks and
then gets turned into chicken poo which goes back on the compost heap
and the cycle continues.
Great, isn't it?

*sigh* I can only dream of this at present

Old 04-04-2009, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Christina Websell writes

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote

Or you could microwave it.

I can just see the look on my wife's face if I suggested that! (That
"silly old sod" look)

It would work, though! For a small quantity.

It does work. But it smells horrible!
--
Kay
Old 04-04-2009, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:
[...]

You are making me jealous!!