Old 03-04-2009, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_4_] Ophelia[_4_] is offline

Default Sterilising home made compost

Christina Websell wrote:
I tend to agree. I've heard about steam sterilising - from the past-
but can't think of any easy way to do this at home. ISTR my
grandfather sterilising soil for his greenhouse with Jeyes Fluid but
as it contains phenol I would not recommend it now.
I have a wonderful compost heap which has had in it annual weeds,
lots of chicken poo, tea bags, woodash, veg peelings etc. It's
broken down into soil to die for. I just accept the weed seedlings I
might get and pull them out. If they are edible for chickens they
get them as a snack which improves the colour of their egg yolks and
then gets turned into chicken poo which goes back on the compost heap
and the cycle continues.
Great, isn't it?

*sigh* I can only dream of this at present