Old 03-04-2009, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Limoncello recipe

"Sacha" wrote after "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

The recipe we use was out of the "Good Food Magazine" ... quite easy,
just
takes a fortnight.

5 unwaxed Lemons
1 litre bottle of cheapest Vodka
750g caster sugar
700ml boiling water.

I large glass jar (3 litre) with good sealable lid. (a large kilner jar
or
similar)

1. Pare the zest from all the lemons, try to not get any of the white
pith
which will make the final drink bitter. (The tomato peeler from Lakeland
works very well!)
Put the zest in a jar and pour over all the Vodka, cover with a tight
fitting lid and leave for a week, shaking the jar well each day.

2. After a week put the sugar in a heatproof bowl and pour over the
boiling
water, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Add the vodka and peel and
then return it all to the jar and leave for a further week, shaking it
daily
at least.

3. Strain into bottles adding a few strips of the lemon zest to each.

When I get organised I'll try it with the rind from the Citrus medica!
There's enough on one of those to make up for 5 ordinary ones!

Just make sure you don't get too much of the white pith with the zest.

Sacha, I've mailed you direct too.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden