Old 03-04-2009, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Limoncello recipe

The recipe we use was out of the "Good Food Magazine" ... quite easy, just
takes a fortnight.

5 unwaxed Lemons
1 litre bottle of cheapest Vodka
750g caster sugar
700ml boiling water.

I large glass jar (3 litre) with good sealable lid. (a large kilner jar or
similar)

1. Pare the zest from all the lemons, try to not get any of the white pith
which will make the final drink bitter. (The tomato peeler from Lakeland
works very well!)
Put the zest in a jar and pour over all the Vodka, cover with a tight
fitting lid and leave for a week, shaking the jar well each day.

2. After a week put the sugar in a heatproof bowl and pour over the boiling
water, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Add the vodka and peel and
then return it all to the jar and leave for a further week, shaking it daily
at least.

3. Strain into bottles adding a few strips of the lemon zest to each.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-04-2009, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
OG OG is offline

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the recipe.

For anyone who's not drunk limoncello, it needs to be taken cold, cold,
cold - keep the bottle in the freezer (it'll thicken but not freeze) and
pre-chilling your glasses in the freezer before pouring is good too.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote after "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

[...]

When I get organised I'll try it with the rind from the Citrus medica!
There's enough on one of those to make up for 5 ordinary ones!

Just make sure you don't get too much of the white pith with the zest.

Sacha, I've mailed you direct too.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-04-2009, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Haven't had that yet, Bob and I know you've got my current address. If it
doesn't show up soon, I'll email you.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com