Old 04-04-2009, 02:29 PM
stinker stinker is offline
Registered User

Default On The Edge

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. So I'm sorry if my questions have been answered a million times before.

At the end of this month I'll be moving to Port Mulgrave. It's a tiny little place between Staiths and Runswick Bay. My new home is situated quite close to the edge of the cliffs with no wind break, what so ever.
I don't want to erect a wind break, either. It'll spoil the view for ourselves and the neighbours.
The garden its self is about one third of an acre but it also comes with a padock of about the same size. The garden has been landscaped with a beautiful large pond and a few small trees dotted about. The trees are maybe three feet high.
But I want to grow some fast growing trees and I was thinking of silver birch but I'm not sure how that will fair in the high winds. I have to say, I haven't seen any birch in that area. I don't know whether that is a clue to the success of such a species in that enviroment.
Also, does anyone know of a decent garden centre in that are? I'll be wanting plenty of advice soon, as I'm not a gardener. I'm a wonnabe.

Thanks in advance.
Stinker