Old 04-04-2009, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
sf[_2_] sf[_2_] is offline

Default On The Edge

On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 14:29:14 +0100, stinker
wrote:

At the end of this month I'll be moving to Port Mulgrave. It's a tiny
little place between Staiths and Runswick Bay. My new home is situated
quite close to the edge of the cliffs with no wind break, what so
ever.
I don't want to erect a wind break, either. It'll spoil the view for
ourselves and the neighbours.
The garden its self is about one third of an acre but it also comes
with a padock of about the same size. The garden has been landscaped
with a beautiful large pond and a few small trees dotted about. The
trees are maybe three feet high.

Pretty place, but it doesn't look like the locals do much gardening.
http://www.nymcam.co.uk/010801.htm

It looks like you'll need to plant a lot of birch trees to produce any
appreciable wind break. I don't think you can do it on a third of an
acre http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-5nldxl Why not plant a
traditional British hedge? The BBC seems to have a comprehensive web
site. Have you looked there?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/today...in_index.shtml

But I want to grow some fast growing trees and I was thinking of silver
birch but I'm not sure how that will fair in the high winds. I have to
say, I haven't seen any birch in that area. I don't know whether that
is a clue to the success of such a species in that enviroment.
Also, does anyone know of a decent garden centre in that are? I'll be
wanting plenty of advice soon, as I'm not a gardener. I'm a wonnabe.

I would go to Google and use North York Moors gardens, gardening or
landscape as a search term. I'd also search for Images.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.